Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI Radeon HD 3650 512MB

Phoronix: ATI Radeon HD 3650 512MB

Last week AMD introduced the ATI Radeon HD 3400 and 3600 series, which are the new low-end graphics processors compared to the Radeon HD 3800 series. These budget graphics cards are branded as the Radeon HD 3450, 3470, and 3650 and are all available for under $100 USD. While they may be cheap, they are the first graphics cards to introduce support for DisplayPort. DisplayPort is the newest digital display interface standard, backed by VESA, and is direct competition to HDMI. DisplayPort has yet to be fully supported by the available Linux display drivers, but the Catalyst Linux driver already supports these new ATI graphics cards and there will be open-source support through the RadeonHD driver in the coming days. At hand today we have the Sapphire Radeon HD 3650 512MB graphics card as we deliver the first Linux benchmarks for this RV635 GPU.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How noisy is the fan?

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: ATI Radeon HD 3650 512MB

Last week AMD introduced the ATI Radeon HD 3400 and 3600 series, which are the new low-end graphics processors compared to the Radeon HD 3800 series. These budget graphics cards are branded as the Radeon HD 3450, 3470, and 3650 and are all available for under $100 USD. While they may be cheap, they are the first graphics cards to introduce support for DisplayPort. DisplayPort is the newest digital display interface standard, backed by VESA, and is direct competition to HDMI. DisplayPort has yet to be fully supported by the available Linux display drivers, but the Catalyst Linux driver already supports these new ATI graphics cards and there will be open-source support through the RadeonHD driver in the coming days. At hand today we have the Sapphire Radeon HD 3650 512MB graphics card as we deliver the first Linux benchmarks for this RV635 GPU.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=11774

So, how noisy is the fan and does it stay quiet under OpenSource linux drivers, or does it ramp up to keep the sucker cool? Noise is important to me since I wnat to build a new system which has decent OpenGL performance, but is also quiet.

Hmm... it would be nice to include a graph of price/FPS in your reviews, if only to show relative costs for a particular frame rate.

Also, Watts/FPS would be interesting to see to, if only to help gauge efficiency of the cards.

Thanks,
    John

Comment

Oops, didn't mention the fan speed in the article. The fan is very quiet using fglrx. I cannot comment for the open-source RadeonHD driver since it doesn't yet contain the RV635 support.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

How do those stream processors perform for non-OpenGL tasks, like BrookGPU applications or alternate rendering algorithms like Metropolis light transport and photon tracing?

Or, as they say on engadget, "does it blend?"
        I want to use it to decode my .ogg's for me...

Comment

my 3870 is very quite in linux, no diffrence from windows.

same goes for 3850 .
          2900 XT makes noise running compiz, no wonder since compiz use gpu

Comment

Wow, so AMD/ATI's ~$100 card slightly beats nVidia's ~$100 card on Linux. Is that a first? I guess AMD/ATI has finally arrived.

When the improved drivers were first released I saw complaints of bugs etc. I haven't been paying attention since then - are they still buggy? If not, my next card might be a Radeon.

Comment

I just got one of these cards (a 3650 by Sapphire) and everything is ok with the framebuffer, but as soon as I try to start X the screen goes blank and everything freezes. This happens with both fglrx and vesa, while radeonhd still doesn't support RV635 (will be added in a few days, I was told). I don't know where to look at, because for everyone else it seems to work ok and I can't find a single working driver.

The output I get with fglrx looks like the one shown here: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7563
              With vesa there's no relevant output, everything just stops after a few informative lines, nothing related to the driver.

My specs:
              * Arch Linux updated to the latest packages
              * 2.6.24.3 kernel
              * AMD Catalyst 8.02 (tried 8.01 as well, since it's the one mentioned in the article)
              * Sapphire Radeon HD 3650 512MB
              * ASUS P5B Deluxe motherboard
              * 1GB of DDR2 RAM
              * Intel Core 2 Duo @2.13GHz
              * Acer AL732 monitor (works with both native DVI and an analog converter, same results with both)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
                everything is ok with the framebuffer, but as soon as I try to start X the screen goes blank and everything freezes. This happens with both fglrx and vesa, while radeonhd still doesn't support RV635 (will be added in a few days, I was told). I don't know where to look at, because for everyone else it seems to work ok and I can't find a single working driver.
                If it does the same even with vesa, it could be defective hardware. I'd test it with Windows and return it for replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by StringCheesian View Post
                  If it does the same even with vesa, it could be defective hardware. I'd test it with Windows and return it for replacement.
                  I have no way to test it under Windows, I only have linux. It's also difficult for me to find friends with a PCI-E motherboard, anyway I don't think it's a defective board, I've seen it working in a variety of resolutions under vesafb, radeonfb and no fb at all, and mplayer can play videos in console.

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
                    I have no way to test it under Windows, I only have linux. It's also difficult for me to find friends with a PCI-E motherboard, anyway I don't think it's a defective board, I've seen it working in a variety of resolutions under vesafb, radeonfb and no fb at all, and mplayer can play videos in console.
                    Problem solved. I needed a BIOS upgrade, I was using the one released in September, while I needed the November one. Thanks for the great service, ASUS, your changelogs are really helpful in *not* mentioning what you actually changed...

Comment

Working...
                    X