Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Users Might See A PowerVR Holiday Surprise

Phoronix: Linux Users Might See A PowerVR Holiday Surprise

It seems the binary curtain among ARM graphics vendors may finally be falling. Aside from NVIDIA contributing to the open-source Tegra DRM driver and other interesting actions recently in the ARM Linux space, Imagination Technologies may finally becoming more open. It's looking like there may be a surprise open-source play out of Imagination for PowerVR graphics in the near future...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    open-source play out of Imagination for PowerVR graphics in the near future...
    Is this a dream? Have really all company?s understood open source / free software?

We have won the long war ?

Comment

Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
      Is this a dream? Have really all company’s understood open source / free software?

Don't hold your breath until we see the code/documentation/whatever.

Comment

Is this a dream? Have really all company?s understood open source / free software?

There's still Via and SiS but maybe they'll fade into irrelevance like 3dfx.

Comment

No, no, and no.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            No, no, and no.
            I sense a new forum-oriented corrolary of Betteridge's Law of Headlines forming. We can call it Smitty's Law of Hopeful but Rhetorical Questions.

Comment

1) We do not know for which OS this reference driver will be. (PowerVR chips are used in iOS, and Andi but where else?)
              2) We do not know for which CHIPS this reference driver will be.
              3) We do not know for which USER SPACE LIBS this reference driver will be.
              4) We do not know how much of hw it will USE (and wich will still be emulated in CPU or if at all).
              5) We do not know how much of actual driver IS CODED IN FIRMWAREaq.

Lots of unknown.
              PS Anyone know about PowerVR chips that are used in FLOSS OS other than Android?
              PSPS Anyone know what name is proper for driver in firmware? OS driver vs hardware driver? OS driver vs firmware driver?
              Last edited by przemoli; 26 November 2012, 03:40 AM.

Comment

I'll believe it when I see it .... show me the code

Comment

There's also (old) Linux/X11 on Atom chips with PowerVR gfx.

iOS: barely open, and apple is decidedly not open about the gfx part of the stack.
                  Android: Could be.
                  *BSD: I don't think there's any sort of _market_ that's asking for ARM BSD systems with a fully open-source EGL/ OpenGL ES stack...
                  Windows 8: Since when did MS want FOSS drivers? And how do they fit with Secure Boot?
                  WinCE: Possible (witness AMD), but I doubt that they'd drive the decision to start with.

PowerVR has lost Intel over their drivers, so I'd imagine they would rather not lose the droid market.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                    PS Anyone know about PowerVR chips that are used in FLOSS OS other than Android?
                    How about, you know, GMA500 and its many descendants? :P But even if they did release a reference driver for that, it's doubtful if it would be of much use, given that Alan Cox's work on it entirely from bits and pieces of documentation is already fairly decent. Unless their reference driver also comes with extra documentation...

Comment

Working...
                    X