Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skype Publishes New Linux APIs w/ Video Support

Phoronix: Skype Publishes New Linux APIs w/ Video Support

Skype, now under the control of Microsoft, has announced a new developer preview of SkypeKit. It surprisingly brings good news for Linux users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix
    Maybe now we'll see Skype support come to the Farstream audio/video framework and other Linux desktop applications.
    Considering that any SkypeKit software must be closed source:
    Originally posted by Skype
    By registering with Skype Developer, you will have access to confidential information and documentation relating to the SkypeKit program that has been publicly released ("Confidential Information") and you agree not to disclose, publish or disseminate the Confidential Information to any third party (including by posting on any developer forum); and to take reasonable measures to prevent the unauthorised use, disclosure, publication or dissemination of the Confidential Information.
    ?nope, clearly not.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel Creshal View Post
      Considering that any SkypeKit software must be closed source:

?nope, clearly not.
      Well, this license doesn't clearly prohibit creating a closed-source library with well-defined public API that might be dlinked to the GPL'ed software. But chances are good that OSS devs wouldn't want to play with a devil. And I wouldn't blame them for it.

As for the news, despite it's surprising that M$ still hadn't killed linux support for Skype I still tend to be skeptical about Skype future on linux. The only reason I see for M$ to keep on supporting linux version of Skype is to create codebase for embeded systems developers wanting to implement linux-based VoIP SoC boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by lexa2 View Post
        As for the news, despite it's surprising that M$ still hadn't killed linux support for Skype I still tend to be skeptical about Skype future on linux. The only reason I see for M$ to keep on supporting linux version of Skype is to create codebase for embeded systems developers wanting to implement linux-based VoIP SoC boxes.
        I guess MS doesn't think that Linux is a major threat anymore. They're probably more concerned with IOS or Android then Linux.
        Let's face it, if a Linux user once in a while want to buy a program or game they're very likely to buy windows software which indirectly helps out MS.
        Android & IOS users spend more money on software and most of that money aren't helping MS at all.
        Last edited by a7v-user; 27 October 2011, 04:15 PM.

Comment

I first heard about this ages and ages ago (here, I think?) and had given up waiting. This is good news, I guess, but yeah, there could be some thorny license issues.

Comment

Originally posted by skype
            publicly released ("Confidential Information")
            lolwhut?!?!?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by lexa2 View Post
              Well, this license doesn't clearly prohibit creating a closed-source library with well-defined public API that might be dlinked to the GPL'ed software.
              Well? but the GPL forbids that.
              The GPL only allows linking to proprietary libraries when they are a) part of the operating system and b) not shipped together.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                Well? but the GPL forbids that.
                The GPL only allows linking to proprietary libraries when they are a) part of the operating system and b) not shipped together.
                Thx for info. Hadn't had a chance to dig deep into GPL text.

Comment

jitsi as alternative

Bah, No Open/FreeBSD and SunOS/OpenIndiana/Solaris support?
                  Well, that skype have open alternatives to say moderately.
                  Take a look at: Jitsi.

Comment

Working...
                  X