Northern Islands HDMI audio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    the audio compression of the digital 7.1 output is handles by the (UVD) stars micro controller also is DRM/Copyprotection tainted

this means the community need to reverse engineering the stuff to get 7.1 amd can't release the code because "Law and Order"
    They probably can not supply the decoder, but it's not needed. Either it can work in bitstreaming mode where it simply passes encoded packets to an external decoder, or it can work in LPCM 5.1/7.1 mode where the audio is decoded first but that can be done in software and sent directly to the output. In either case you do not need UVD, but you need the information to program the HDMI port. However, their internal implementation probably includes support for PAP - protected audio path - so yes there are DRM issues, just not UVD-related issues...

Comment

Everything you'd need is in the register headers we released. You need to parse the supported audio information from the monitor and set up the sound driver appropriately to send multi-channel and finally, specify the audio format being sent to the monitor in the hdmi packets that the graphics driver sends. The graphics driver is really just a go-between the monitor and the sound card. The graphics driver is responsible for passing the monitor's audio capabilities to the sound card and then telling the monitor what format the sound card is sending.

Comment

Rafał Miłecki had done a great job, hope he wants to complete.

Comment

I wish NI HDMI audio catches 3.5 merge window.

Comment

Hi, sorry my english is bad.
            A patch to apply kernel 3.4.0???
            I tried to patch the kernel with a patch, but I get a compile error radeon screen.
            Thanks
            Last edited by Vincenzov; 08 April 2012, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Death Knight View Post
              I wish NI HDMI audio catches 3.5 merge window.
              Stereo only.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenzov View Post
                Hi, sorry my english is bad.
                A patch to apply kernel 3.4.0???
                I tried to patch the kernel with a patch, but I get a compile error radeon screen.
                Thanks
                As far as I know there isn't any patch for Northern Islands HDMI audio support. Where did you get that patch?

(Italian language: Per quanto ne so non c'? nessuna patch per il supporto audio via HDMI per Northern Islands. Dove hai preso quella patch?)

Comment

i have try with this 0001-WIP-port-of-hdmi-dp-audio-code-to-newer-kernel.patch
                  But error in compiling
                  maybe I'm wrong does not include the 6000 series.
                  But I still can not patch the kernel to fix radeon 5000

this link

dce5.0
                  Last edited by Vincenzov; 08 April 2012, 07:11 AM.

Comment

It's not a question of 5xxx vs 6xxx -- that is Alex's "we had to hack some of the code out in order to be able to release it, but this has most of what you need" patch. It's not expected to compile or work in its current state, but we were hoping it would be useful to someone working on HDMI audio.

I forget who asked about multichannel support -- first key point is that the limitation is in the generic audio driver, not the HDMI audio portion (we released info which should be enough for the HDMI audio hw). The HD Audio public spec used to be 2 channel only and our hardware used some third party info to support 5.1 etc..

The public spec was recently updated to include multichannel support; what I don't know yet is whether the public HW spec matches our HW, ie whether that is sufficient to add multichannel support to the audio driver.
                    Test signature

Comment

I realized, I personally just stereo sound.
                      thanks
                      Last edited by Vincenzov; 08 April 2012, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X