Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crouton: Ubuntu Chroot On Google Chrome OS

Phoronix: Crouton: Ubuntu Chroot On Google Chrome OS

Being mentioned a few times recently by Phoronix readers has been Crouton, a new project that easily setup an Ubuntu chroot environment atop Google's Chrome/Chromium operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ubuntu this ubuntu that. The more i hear canonical and ubuntu the more i hate it.

Comment

Originally posted by phoen1x View Post
      Ubuntu this ubuntu that. The more i hear canonical and ubuntu the more i hate it.
      +1

Last week I was fairly tolerant to Ubuntu, but I'm not sure how they could have had a worse PR week. Part of my weekend will be spent uninstalling that travesty from my netbook. I want nothing more to do with Ubuntu and I won't be going near it again.

Comment

Originally posted by phoen1x View Post
        Huh? Hate? That's a strong word, particularly when used against an open source project lead by a philantropist. If you read Michael's article, this is not so much about Ubuntu (a small modification of this could run Debian), but about enhancing functionality on the Chromebooks.

My son has a Chromebook that he loves. With this beautiful hack, he can also run KDE, and watch movies in VLC (a gazillion times better than the chromeOS media player). He can also play local games. What's not to love?

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
          +1

Last week I was fairly tolerant to Ubuntu, but I'm not sure how they could have had a worse PR week. Part of my weekend will be spent uninstalling that travesty from my netbook. I want nothing more to do with Ubuntu and I won't be going near it again.
          I'm sure Mark and the rest of the guys are real broken up about not wanting anything to do with Ubuntu. Quite frankly, Ubuntu will be better off without users like you. Make no mistake, you in particular did not bring anything of value to Ubuntu or Canonical by just using Ubuntu. The show will go on without you and if you're still using Ubuntu then the show will go on in spite of you.

Comment

This sounds super useful. I don't have much experience with chroots, but this sounds more useful than wiping ChromeOS to install ChrUbuntu.

Comment

Benchmarking

Michael: it would be interesting to benchmark straight dual Ubuntu vs the chroot on the Chromebook. The ChromeOS kernel is probably optimized for the device, so things might get interesting

Comment

Originally posted by ChamPro View Post
                This sounds super useful. I don't have much experience with chroots, but this sounds more useful than wiping ChromeOS to install ChrUbuntu.
                It is! For one thing, your bootup time is exactly the same as without the chroot. If you decide you want to run some apps in the chroot, you open a terminal on Chrome, type a command and get a separate session (KDE, XFCE, whatever you want). When you are done, you come back to chromeOS. You can even leave the chroot running, and flip back and forth (this is not working in my sons c7, for some reason, so I just logout of the KDE session and come back to chrome, which is super fast)

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
                  I'm sure Mark and the rest of the guys are real broken up about not wanting anything to do with Ubuntu. Quite frankly, Ubuntu will be better off without users like you. Make no mistake, you in particular did not bring anything of value to Ubuntu or Canonical by just using Ubuntu. The show will go on without you and if you're still using Ubuntu then the show will go on in spite of you.
                  I know they won't care about losing me. They don't care about any of their users, just their misguided agenda.

Comment

I had this exact same idea when i got my cr-48. i actually compiled android in a chroot on it for fun. the new window manager in chrome screwed up my original scrips. will be interesting finding out how they got around this.

for the past few days ive had a chroot on a flash drive. havent taken the time to get a gui to run in chrome os, but i usually dont need it. i also have it set up to where i can boot directly into it instead of loading chrome. i should write some automated scripts for this......
                    Last edited by tvall; 08 March 2013, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X