Intel Core i7 4770K "Haswell" Benchmarks On Ubuntu Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    AMD's architecture is somewhat similar in that they also share hardware resources between multiple threads on a core, but with AMD much less is shared and blocking the other thread, which means it should scale better and provide better performance when going over 4 threads than an Intel 4 core with HT processor. That said, it's primarily for integer code, so i'm not sure how much of a gain you'd get from your double precision fp heavy codebase.
    I'm curious about possibly picking up an fx8350 just for testing. Of course I'm more than willing to wait for q4 if something new is coming out.

Comment

Originally posted by YAFU View Post
      In my previous computers I've spent lots of money on PSU, and two times the PSU are broken!
      So in my last computer I said: What the hell! and I bought a cheap "Sentey" case with PSU included! LoL
      Anyway I have a one year warranty on all computer....
      Spending allot doesn't mean it's good, you have to look up reviews by people hat actually have a clue as to what they are doing like JonnyGuru, HardwareSecrets, PCPerspective, SilentPCReview and HardOCP all have the proper equipment as well as people that actually know how to properly test a PSU to it's limits both high and low and give you a detailed breakdown of it's internal components.

Doing this I've never had an issue with quality PSUs, on the other hand, I've seen more then my share of people that either did their own DIY or had someone slap together a comp for them with a craptacular PSU that blew it's caps and took out everything, I just had to write one off last week that was a allendale Core2 Duo w/ 7600GT box with a crap PSU, it literally killed everything, even the DVD burner doesn't work. Owner was not happy to hear that nothing was salvageable.

Larabel and the like that have neither the equipment or skills to properly test a PSU are going to say any PSU that doesn't instantly explode is good.

Comment

Without overclocking to ~5Ghz it makes no sense to update. Hence it all boils down to heat management etc. Also having a GTX 780 aside, how to install both graphiccards in Ubuntu?
        Waiting for your next article which hopefully includes that!

Comment

If you are going to test the IGPs I hope you will test

The common Intel HD 4600
          The mobile/BGA Intel Iris Pro 5200
          AMD HD 7660D with Catalyst drivers
          AMD HD 7660D with Open Source drivers

Comment

Under windows, Failwell is about a 8% faster in average than the 3770k, whereas its power consumption is above the 10%. Which is the average performance under linux?

As many reviews are noting, Failwell has thermal issues and poor OC than 3770k; it is not a problem with the "Haswell Round Lake H87 motherboard, which isn't too overclocking friendly."

Interesting to see the old FX-8350 being competitive with the new 4700k. I would wait the recently announced FX-9000 to be about a 7% faster than the 3700k.

Comment

Originally posted by YAFU View Post
              If we assume that the AMD has higher power consumption, I think in some cases it may need a higher PSU power.
              At least in Asus you have very cheap motherboards with PCI-e 3.0 support for intel (assuming you want to use a discrete card). The cheap Asus motherboards for AMD FX I've seen do not support PCI-e 3.0.

I think each has its advantages and disadvantages. I hope that there is always competition between AMD and Intel. It would not be good for consumers that there is much difference between the two, and that only one dominates the market.
              Under full load the difference between 3770k and 8350 is of about 40-80W, depending of specific hardware and task. You can use the same PSU for both. Cheap motherboards for installing top chips? That is like purchasing a Ferrari or a Porsche and then using the cheapest tires that you can find...

Comment

Originally posted by juanrga View Post
                Under full load the difference between 3770k and 8350 is of about 40-80W, depending of specific hardware and task. You can use the same PSU for both. Cheap motherboards for installing top chips? That is like purchasing a Ferrari or a Porsche and then using the cheapest tires that you can find...
                I'd happily see how much a cheap motherboard impacts CPU benchmarks.
                Probably not as much as a car tires..

Comment

Originally posted by lordmetroid View Post
                  If you are going to test the IGPs I hope you will test

The common Intel HD 4600
                  The mobile/BGA Intel Iris Pro 5200
                  AMD HD 7660D with Catalyst drivers
                  AMD HD 7660D with Open Source drivers

It will be very good to test Wine with those GPUs and some first rate MMO like Guild_Wars_2 or Tera_online. Plus the two main Wine engines, default GLSL and WineD3D (winetricks glsl=disabled).

Comment

Originally posted by juanrga View Post
                    In Asus, a cheap motherboard is very good hardware anyway. In Asus for Intel, the cheap motherboards (P8xxx common models for example) and Top models (Pro - Sabertooth - Maximus) not have practically differences in CPU performance. The difference is much smaller if models have similar chipset. Top Motherboards have better configurations in PCI-e Crossfire/SLI, Back IO Ports and extreme OC cooling. You can buy an cheap model from Asus and rest assured that the CPU will work like a Ferrari anyway.
                    Last edited by YAFU; 05 June 2013, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
                      It will be very good to test Wine with those GPUs and some first rate MMO like Guild_Wars_2 or Tera_online.
                      How do you propose getting a repeatable, offline test profile for a MMO?

Comment

Working...
                      X