Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new passive cooled hd7850 a quick report

Hi
    After a long time I bought a new graphic card.
    And because I like silence systems I bought the fastest passiv card with an amd chip.
    This means my system is now full passive cooled from the power suply over the CPU and GPU.
    (my cpu is a fx8350 8core)
    To be honest graphik dosn't make me buy a new card but the Opensource- openCL support
    to mine bitcoins a little makes me buy a new card.

The first start was perfect all run like on my old hd4770 card I'm on 3.12rc1 kernel and newest PPA for xorg.

Thats my pc right now... and I will write about my bitcoin experience on this system later in this thread.

Edit: the card name is: PowerColor Radeon HD 7850 SCS3, 1GB GDDR5, DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort (AX7850 1GBD5-S3DH)
    Last edited by necro-lover; 18 September 2013, 06:58 AM.

Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
    To be honest graphik dosn't make me buy a new card but the Opensource- openCL support
    to mine bitcoins a little makes me buy a new card.
    Nice rig. But do you expect to make any money from this? I read that GPU mining is not very profitable anymore.

Warning: GPU mining is not very profitable (if at all) anymore, and even if you have free electricity, GPU rigs will likely never pay for themselves at this point!

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
      Nice rig. But do you expect to make any money from this? I read that GPU mining is not very profitable anymore.
      Thank you for your response. And sure I unterstand this no its just a new card and bitcoin is more a hobby. And yes I do have Electricity for free.

My biggest problem right now is that oibaf PPA is broken:

dpkg: error /var/cache/apt/archives/libwayland-server0_1.2.1-1~r~gd_amd64.deb (--unpack):
      /var/cache/apt/archives/libwayland-client0_1.2.1-1~r~gd_amd64.deb
      /var/cache/apt/archives/libwayland-server0_1.2.1-1~r~gd_amd64.deb
      E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

also its sad that there is no working easy to install CGMINER PPA...

but maybe i get the point after i read more about it.

Comment

dpkg: error /var/cache/apt/archives/libwayland-server0_1.2.1-1~r~gd_amd64.deb
        Just for the record my libwayland problem is gone.

Comment

Trust me, mining is a waste of time if you don't have *at least* a 5000? ASIC.
          I do mine with my HD 7950 but just to test OSS drivers. I get ~ 400 MH/s with latest graphic drivers which is about 5?/month *now* (and you have to subtract the pool fee, the electricity cost, the hardware cost...). In January the revenue will be a few cents/month because of the increasing difficulty. You're just too late for GPU mining, I'm sorry.
          You can try Litecoin mining which pays more but at the moment scrypt does not work with OSS drivers, please add your voice if you want it fixed: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=64201

Also you may be interested in my patch which backports latest DRM code to linux 3.11: http://www.linuxsystems.it/linux-drm...ack-backports/
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            Trust me, mining is a waste of time if you don't have *at least* a 5000? ASIC.
            I do mine with my HD 7950 but just to test OSS drivers. I get ~ 400 MH/s with latest graphic drivers which is about 5?/month *now* (and you have to subtract the pool fee, the electricity cost, the hardware cost...). In January the revenue will be a few cents/month because of the increasing difficulty. You're just too late for GPU mining, I'm sorry.
            You can try Litecoin mining which pays more but at the moment scrypt does not work with OSS drivers, please add your voice if you want it fixed: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=64201

Also you may be interested in my patch which backports latest DRM code to linux 3.11: http://www.linuxsystems.it/linux-drm...ack-backports/
            Thank you for your response.

But why do you believe I only do something for profit? right now i spend 180? for the card and i do nothing with the card... I'm just a nerd who want to learn something about openCL and stuff like bitcoins.

Ah and you know me for many years I'm do have ~7000+++ Posts in this forum I never did anything for profit here in the past...

"*at least* a 5000? ASIC."

Did you know that I have energy for free and i do have a brother who are willing to pay stuff like this ?
            So my problem is not "Fucking" money... my probem is skill and knowelege and so one...

in my memory you are near germany right? maybe you wana meet me and talk about stuff like this?

"linux 3.11"

I already use 3.12... in fact i always use the newest haha

Comment

But why do you believe I only do something for profit?
              I don't believe anything, I just wanted to warn you

Ah and you know me for many years I'm do have ~7000+++ Posts in this forum
              Uh? Who are you? Do we know each other?

in my memory you are near germany right? maybe you wana meet me and talk about stuff like this?
              I'm sorry but I'm Italian and quite far from Germany
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Uh? Who are you? Do we know each other?
                sure.. we know us...

I'm sorry but I'm Italian and quite far from Germany
                ok bad memory...

Comment

Did you know that I have energy for free and i do have a brother who are willing to pay stuff like this ?
                  How did you manage it? Is it possible for private persons or are you hooked to some corporation contract that gives you that? Ty

Comment

Post some temps i suspect your machine can easily overheat.

Comment

Working...
                    X