Aggressive Low Memory Booster For The Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
    Computers with 512MB are pretty much a thing of the past and getting fewer and memory is dirt cheap.
    I'd like them to focus on stuff that matters today and will matter in the future, rather on an issue becoming increasingly irrelevant.

And btw, don't be so cheap, buy your parents some RAM it's really cheap nowadays while playing a central role.
    You just ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION, are you???

You think the whole universe revolves around you and your desktop

You have no mental abilities to comprehend the concept of an embedded linux system

it is beyond the abilities of your puny mass of brain cells to imagine the existence of computers whose memory is constrained by cost or power or size considerations.

why do you bother commenting?

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
      Yes my friend your radeon driver may be smaller but it's also useless.
      You just lag the ability to make logical conclusions within relative facts.

An example: Is it useless to write bullshit to you?

validation of the assertion:

Case1: Its bullshit what I’m writing here
      Case2: Its not bullshit what I’m writing here.

If we ask you then the case 1 is right

On the other side and there is the failure of your logic: In your opinion The radeon driver is useless and this is a GOD-LAW for you.

But i use the radeon driver to write bullshit to you! This means its not useless by definition within the relatively usefulness for ME!

I'm 100% sure you lag the ability to understand this logical conclusion.

Ask your Borg collective to fix your brain!

Comment

Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
        But i use the radeon driver to write bullshit to you! This means its not useless by definition within the relatively usefulness for ME!
        As much as I like the radeon driver.... yet, he wrote that's it's useless if you play games... not useless in general. At least in this thread. And I have to agree with him, that programmers seem not optimize memory usage any more...

Comment

Originally posted by leidola View Post
          As much as I like the radeon driver.... yet, he wrote that's it's useless if you play games... not useless in general. At least in this thread. And I have to agree with him, that programmers seem not optimize memory usage any more...
          Games? For me writing bullshit to him IS a game for ME!

So I play games with the radeon driver!

So its useful for playing games!

Comment

Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
            Games? For me writing bullshit to him IS a game for ME!

So I play games with the radeon driver!

So its useful for playing games!
            No, actually it's useful for playing __your__ games

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
              Computers with 512MB are pretty much a thing of the past and getting fewer and memory is dirt cheap.
              I'd like them to focus on stuff that matters today and will matter in the future, rather on an issue becoming increasingly irrelevant.

And btw, don't be so cheap, buy your parents some RAM it's really cheap nowadays while playing a central role.
              I am not cheap. The computer works fine, so we don't throw it away. If people say it's an exercise in macho behaviour, then I have to slightly agree. Installing Linux on it made it much more useful despite it's aging processing capabilities. So, therefore, we continue using it.

However, it doesn't support SSE2. This is a hardware capability. Only Office 2013 and Windows 8 have a hard requirement on that specific piece of technology.

So, therefore (and in my opinion), we should continue using it until it cannot sufficiently handle tasks that only Windows 8 and Office 2013 can handle (as an example of course). Because THAT, again in my opinion, justifies a hardware upgrade.

As for BO$$, necro-lover and frantaylor: Please, take your fingers out of your ears and stop doing 'lalalala' while at it mkay? Please respect each others opinion, how boldly stated it may appear to you.

Comment

I am saying that for games fglrx is the best. I am also saying that it should be installed by default since most users new to linux don't know about it and could end up with the impression that linux has worse performance than windows.
                fglrx is very buggy and unstable in comparison. Would you really like new users get the image that linux is just as crashy as Windows, only because of AMD's blob being preinstalled?

You should also quantify your game argument. If I see 50% of the fps, using 0.5% of the lines of code, its efficiency beats that of fglrx by a huge amount.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
                  As for BO$$, necro-lover and frantaylor: Please, take your fingers out of your ears and stop doing 'lalalala' while at it mkay? Please respect each others opinion, how boldly stated it may appear to you.
                  Oh come on, troll-on-troll battles are always fun to watch

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                    No, actually it's useful for playing __your__ games
                    Exactly this is what I?m trying to tell him. But he thinks "games" is a objective fixed quantitative definition. But in fact he is wrong. Every people do have different needs and they do have different definitions of the words they use and many people really play computer-games with the radeon driver.

But he thinks he is GOD and he do have the power to judge like alpha and omega.

In fact he do only have size madness.

Comment

Which is why I was saying that AMD should focus on fglrx and not put resources in the open source driver. More people working on fixing fglrx will have more impact than more people working on radeon. You may see 50% of the fps, using 0.5% of the lines of code, but for the other 50% perhaps the 99.5% are required. Don't assume that AMD is full of idiots and open source full of geniuses. Maybe that code is there for a reason, not just to take up space.
                      Really dude I think exactly this: "Don't assume that AMD is full of idiots and open source full of geniuses. "

I watched the activity?s of the catalyst for years and tested it on multiple computers with multiple workloads... and its just crap!
                      You can use closed source with "Nvidia" but in fact you can't use closed-source with amd.
                      I know this because I use nvidia cards before i use amd cards on linux.

Why? simple: They(amd) give a shit about your needs in playing "games" on linux ...... I really don't go into details now because its pointless to waste any energy in this. (Catalyst=workstation driver for CATIA)

Comment

Working...
                      X