Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oibaf Keeps Making Ubuntu GPU Driver Upgrades Easy

Phoronix: Oibaf Keeps Making Ubuntu GPU Driver Upgrades Easy

For those that may have some time this holiday weekend and are looking to better enhance the performance of Ubuntu's open-source graphics drivers, one of the easiest ways to do so is by enabling the Oibaf repository for easily downloading and installing newer versions of the Mesa/Gallium3D drivers and other X.Org related components. Here are some more details and current benchmarks of enabling the Oibaf PPA over Ubuntu 13.10.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

for quake reaction, after having taken a look at the frame latency data, it's still better the non oibaf ubuntu 13.10.

Comment

Just tried it two days ago and couldn't get Steam to work because I couldn't install libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 (it would remove half the system). Now he has pushed a new update hours ago it seems and now I was able to install this remaining package again and it seems to work. Hopefully this was just a random dependency issue and I won't get in trouble in the future, because Xorg/Mesa git stack + Ubuntu Linux Kernel Mainline PPA destroys AMD Catalyst on my HD 6870.

Comment

"The only complaint I have about the archive is that for the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver it doesn't yet build against the latest LLVM 3.4 or SVN code for delivering the best experience with the very newest AMD graphics processors."

Completely agree. I remember pali given his availability to make a LLVM svn ppa so there shouldn't be any major blocker anymore.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

The mesa packages used in the test (1fb106) was built with llvm 3.4. I reverted to 3.3 in the current packages because of problems, for more info see here: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...985#post376985

Thanks for the article anyway .

Comment

Personally, I never install system updates unless:

1) They come from the hardware vendor directly (AMD, NVidia, etc.).
            2) They come from the distribution packagers (Ubuntu, etc.)
            3) They are final versions (no alphas, betas, etc.)

That leaves me waiting 6 months, when using the open source stack, in order to get the latest improvements. It would be great if canonical would setup an official repository (with stable and supported releases) for people like me.

The closed drivers are often problematic too. Right now I am on ubuntu 13.10. I would like to use the Catalyst drivers but the last stable release does not support the xserver 1.14. That leaves me with either using the Catalyst 13.11 beta or the half baked open source.
            Last edited by zoomblab; 01 December 2013, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
              Personally, I never install system updates unless:

1) They come from the hardware vendor directly (AMD, NVidia, etc.).
              2) They come from the distribution packagers (Ubuntu, etc.)
              3) They are final versions (no alphas, betas, etc.)

That leaves me waiting 6 months, when using the open source stack, in order to get the latest improvements. It would be great if canonical would setup an official repository (with stable and supported releases) for people like me.

The closed drivers are often problematic too. Right now I am on ubuntu 13.10. I would like to use the Catalyst drivers but the last stable release does not support the xserver 1.14. That leaves me with either using the Catalyst 13.11 beta or the half baked open source.
              Do like you prefer, but Linux community needs people that report bugs, Linux is not an individual OS, it's a community OS and devs need everyone talent to make it better.

Comment

From my part, I just tested nouveau drivers with kernel 3.13, what an impressive progress! This driver could now run 3D games like a PS1 emulator and the game ran like with proprietary drivers. I'm very happy to see such improvement in Linux land.

Comment

Working...
                X