Debian Now Defaults To Xfce Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moonlite View Post
    How i wish there were some other, less opiniated, news site covering what phoronix covers. I'm only a few gnome bashing posts from unsubscribing.
    Go to lwn.net. Oh wait, there's also a lot of gnome bashing! It seems there's something wrong with gnome lately...

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
      I debate the customization point - it has the best settings environment I have ever used. I can change virtually everything on my desktop and yet do not get bogged down like I did when I tried KDE. Xfce of course has other issues but I think it is very good when it comes to customization.
      XFCE seems to be the best option for server OS. I wonder if Red Hat will do the same.

Comment

@Hamish Wilson
        Last time I tried XFCE, it offered the worst customization of any DE I've tried, however, that was maybe 3 years ago, so I'm sure it has significantly improved since. I am interested in trying XFCE again, although I don't see it likely replacing my LXDE and KDE setups.

@moonlite
        I'd say Michael is more neutral than negative toward GNOME, there just happens to be more news related to GNOME problems. This article didn't mention any of his personal opinions about GNOME, so I'm not sure where you're getting these complaints from.

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
        XFCE seems to be the best option for server OS. I wonder if Red Hat will do the same.
        Isn't GNOME 3 designed by Red Hat? Like I thought RH was exactly the reason why GNOME is starting to fail.

Comment

Yes, they make and sell CDs....very cheap witch is great if you simply want to give as gift to someone or simply don't want to care if person looses it or not...

There is also the issue that many now have cheap net plans with limited traffic....every spared MB counts to avoid exceed the limit.

XFCE, it was always interesting to me and with 4.10 it got real good....i prefer it to anything except maybe latest version of LXDE that is also nice.

It really makes things feel faster than anything...

Comment

Isn't GNOME 3 designed by Red Hat? Like I thought RH was exactly the reason why GNOME is starting to fail.
            Gnome is designed by Gnome.

If it fails then everybody else is f*ked because it's going to take XFCE, LXDE, Unity, and pretty much everything that isn't KDE with it since they all use stuff developed by Gnome for Gnome. Everything is open source so people like XFCE are free to use as much of Gnome or as little as they want, but you can't replace people.

GUIs are for workstation and desktops. If you need a GUI for your server you are doing it wrong. The more 'hands off' you can possibly be on a server the better off you are. Ideally in a large environment even ssh'ng to individual servers should be avoided.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              @Hamish Wilson
              Last time I tried XFCE, it offered the worst customization of any DE I've tried, however, that was maybe 3 years ago, so I'm sure it has significantly improved since. I am interested in trying XFCE again, although I don't see it likely replacing my LXDE and KDE setups.
              Pfff, LXDE offers even less customization than XFCE. At least XFCE can save/load sessions properly. But both have nothing to search on true desktop machine, they are all incomplete trade-offs.

Comment

Originally posted by aidanjt View Post
                I've had practically no personal use for them beyond silly distros who wont move on with the times. I just want an image I can dd to USB sticks and not have to faff about.
                If an ISO is CD sized, you can still burn it to DVD or USB. Just because it is 700MB or whatever does not force you to burn it to CD.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                  Pfff, LXDE offers even less customization than XFCE. At least XFCE can save/load sessions properly. But both have nothing to search on true desktop machine, they are all incomplete trade-offs.
                  LXDE by default doesn't come with enough to customize in the first place. The very little it offers has enough customization to make me happy, and openbox's rc.conf is pretty easy to modify, while being very powerful. This is why I like it though - it comes with the bare minimum, so I only add what I care to use.

Comment

Flaming

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    Go to lwn.net. Oh wait, there's also a lot of gnome bashing! It seems there's something wrong with gnome lately...
                    Considering you are the main source of gnome bashing on lwn.net it is really sad way to prove your "facts". GNOME looks to be doing fine. Here is another theory; Qt and KDE are screwed and someone feels the urge to flame GNOME. Drowing people always try to pull others down. It is natural survival instinct but it makes you and your fellow flamers look really bad. Take a chill pill and accept the Qt offers GNOME nothing but a big porting burden, lack of a true open governance and awfull priorites like commercial support for windows, mac e.g. GNOME is built upon the idea that every problem should be fixed at the right level; Either kernel, plumbing or userland. Qt has never cared about this. In fact they have worked against this to protect the true priorities of the ever changing Qt-owners; Commercial software for multiple platforms. GTK is mostly about freedom and serving as a toolkit for Linux. Qt would be an awful choice for GNOME.

Point in case; GNOME doesnt fit on a obsolete media and you go crazy. Well here is a clue for you Gnome3 is coming to Debian and it is looking quite good.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      @Hamish Wilson
                      I'd say Michael is more neutral than negative toward GNOME, there just happens to be more news related to GNOME problems. This article didn't mention any of his personal opinions about GNOME, so I'm not sure where you're getting these complaints from.
                      The GNOME OS reporting was for one incorrect and furthermore loaded with very negative comments based on his incorrect summary. Even in this article the negativity is sky high.

Wtf about not being biased. Just because stuff is presented as a fact doesn't make it unbiased or true.

Comment

Working...
                      X