Khronos Releases OpenGL 3.3 & OpenGL 4.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nasenbaer View Post
    If you want to learn the new way of OpenGL programming then I can remommend Beginning OpenGL game programming, Second Edition. It tells you how to use OpenGL 3.0 from scratch without the old GL2 stuff.
    that's the book i was planning to get, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderbird View Post
      Yes, OpenGL 4.0 allows us to implement Direct3D11 in Wine but don't expect it any time soon. Our Direct3D10 is still not even finished.
      Great... But DirectX 7 isn't even implemented completely...

Instead of going with a lot of almost done stuff, you might want to considder completing the older 'almost done' stuff first, because Wine still reminds me of fglrx everytime I run something...

Comment

If you want to learn the new way of OpenGL programming then I can remommend Beginning OpenGL game programming, Second Edition. It tells you how to use OpenGL 3.0 from scratch without the old GL2 stuff.
        I still haven't finnished learning my OpenGL Programming Guide sixth edition yet

Comment

Or anyone wanting the Phoronix link for it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...SIN=159863528X
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'll repeat what I wrote on the opengl boards here: many parts of the new specs are based on community feedback. To quote Rob Barris:
            So, as has been the custom for those releases, make your own assessment of what you like or don't like, and keep the feedback coming.

If a dozen separate developers all shout loudly for DSA for example, this could effectively raise its priority for an upcoming release (assuming the objections of some of the implementors can be reconciled).
            It is awesome to see OpenGL come back from the ashes so unexpectedly and so thoroughly!

Now all we need to do is bribe the driver architect in Intel to increase focus on OpenGL support and we are set! (As in, OpenGL will start becoming viable again.)

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
              I still haven't finnished learning my OpenGL Programming Guide sixth edition yet
              Sell it. Many topics should be obsolete with OpenGL 3.2 Core Profile. Most stuff is done using vertex/pixel shaders nowadays - no matrix stack, no Display Lists, ...

@topic
              It is nice to hear that they integrate feature requests of the community. I would like to have a C++ wrapper for OpenGL. It can't be that hard. Even for the relatively new OpenCL there is one.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                It is awesome to see OpenGL come back from the ashes so unexpectedly and so thoroughly!

Now all we need to do is bribe the driver architect in Intel to increase focus on OpenGL support and we are set! (As in, OpenGL will start becoming viable again.)
                It isn't realy that much of a surprise actually...

For a long time Microsoft was dominating and took care of designing DirectX.

Now that Apple is gaining some massive marketshare (id software, WoW came along and then EA and now the killer combination of everything Valve) the inductry has to advance the crossplatform graphics library in order to save their own asses.

And that's another nail in the Windows coffin...

5 years ago I predicted Windows marketshare would be equal or below 50% of all desktops in ten years. 5 years have passed since than and it is starting to all come true. The massive succes of Apple, Google Docs in universities, ODF in governments, Russia's, China's and now Korea's own Linux distro and the consoles are killing Windows as we speak...

5 years to go to 50% desktop marketshare and Windows will lose monopoly powers. IE has already broke backwards compatibility with older IE websites and now slowly gears towards the web standards. Starting with Office 2007 SP1/2 Microsoft is now also forced to support ODF. Adobe wants to switch to ODF for Acrobat Reader.

These are exciting times. Death to Windows and DirectX!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Or anyone wanting the Phoronix link for it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...SIN=159863528X
                  haha, will do. but not for a couple of months.
                  i just used the newegg shopping link a couple of weeks ago to get a wacom bamboo fun. really nice graphics tablet actually. quite a bit of trouble getting it to work in linux, but i've been trying to help the devs a bit(detailed bug reports). the driver is shaping up nicely, looks like it'll be fully working by the time ubuntu 10.04 and fedora 13 arrive.. sorry, back on topic.

khronos looks like they're finally delivering the super awesome new shiny opengl they promised like three years ago or however long ago it was.

god i love the word "open".....

Comment

OpenGL was slowly developed and overconfident back then and Microsoft had already expertise killing such big and slow beasts (like IBM for example).
                    So, I give M$ credit for being smart and fast back then, but they mostly won because their counterpart was too lazy to compete and to ignorant, not because M$ is a house of geniuses (it's not).
                    Now, if OpenGL goes on this way people will see (once again) that M$ is in fact very vulnerable and the world will quickly drop DirectX in favor of OpenGL once Apple's market share goes so high that game developers can't afford to ignore it. M$ is just a beast with a history of killing lazy and weak competitors and when they have to face real competition they show they can't win (for example, Google search is strong as never before in the world).

Comment

Now we really need mesa/g3d to catch up! Not to mention the oss drivers. Come on guys!

Point is that open standards have now their chance. But we also need open drivers for that, too. I'm trying hard to remain optimistic, but the speed of development doesn't seem to be enough. They are falling behind and it seems some more manpower is necessary.

Opengl x.x support is almost pointless if the hardware is more than ~3 years old...

Comment

Working...
                      X