Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Esther: Another Source Engine Game On Linux

Phoronix: Dear Esther: Another Source Engine Game On Linux

Dear Esther, a unique first person adventure game powered by Valve's Source Engine, will soon be released as a native Linux client. Currently the company is seeking out testers to try out the Linux port...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this actually going to be fully native now or are they still messing about with that silly wrapper they were talking about when the Linux release was originally announced to be happening?

Comment

I will test once I'm allowed into the Linux beta.

It seems adding the "linux-steam-blog" to my rss feed, joining multiple steam linux groups (on steam) and registering within the first 5 minutes after the survey was release did not help

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
        Is this actually going to be fully native now or are they still messing about with that silly wrapper they were talking about when the Linux release was originally announced to be happening?
        They are using WINE.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotgut View Post
          They are using WINE.
          Ok, so who stops me from using WINE directly, then?
          WINE is gorgeous, but not gorgeous enough for gaming.

Comment

They are using WINE.
            Are you sure? I know that was their plan at first, but now A LOT has changed. It would be really weird... Source is native now...

Comment

They are using WINE.
              Source?

[char limit]

Comment

It would be interesting see if Larabel got it wrong when he said "native Linux client", especially since he is using it as another "I WAS RIGHT!!!!" post.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                  Source?

[char limit]
                  I should have not started right away with my angered comment. Let's hope they release something natively-compiled, because WINE is just not comparable to the efforts on improving the Graphics-drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                    Source?

[char limit]
                    I'm one of the beta testers. Quoting the dev: " it'sbuilt using a sophisticated wrapper, so it is not yet a native build so to speak". They plan to make a native port once Valve release the Linux Engine source code to licensees.

Comment

Working...
                    X