X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
    File a feature request:
    https://bugs.freedesktop.org
    There is already bug 29012 (filed originally as r300g and later moved to mesa-core since it also may affects other gallium drivers):

Comment

Things I hate about r300g:

1) No accelerated video-decode.
      2) No Accelerated Flash-plyaer not any HW accelerated alternative.
      3) 3D mesa is 0.25X to 0.3X to closed driver, maybe worse when compared to windows.
      4) Hulu sucks on the linux, why there is no interest in solving the road bloxks for better user experince?

Has anyone doubts why the linux is failure on the Desktop? Where is the user experience? Long Time and money are not solving linux problems for the end users. Users want their hardware and software to just work.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
        Marek, I don't know whether or not I'm having the same issue, this is what I get:

Backtrace:
        0x7cc4ef86 r300_get_swizzle_combined+0x21 in r300_dri.so: movq %mm0,0x0(%esp)
        I'm using the latest mesa from git. I apologize for off-topic, I'll just ask should I report a bug?

Comment

Originally posted by Beiruty View Post

3) 3D mesa is 0.25X to 0.3X to closed driver, maybe worse when compared to windows.
          4) Hulu sucks on the linux, why there is no interest in solving the road bloxks for better user experince?

Has anyone doubts why the linux is failure on the Desktop? Where is the user experience? Long Time and money are not solving linux problems for the end users. Users want their hardware and software to just work.
          I have sacrificed a lot of time for this driver, unpaid. All I can say is "patches welcome".

Comment

Originally posted by pejakm View Post
            Marek, I don't know whether or not I'm having the same issue, this is what I get:

I'm using the latest mesa from git. I apologize for off-topic, I'll just ask should I report a bug?
            I didn't know about this. Yes please file a new bug with the whole backtrace.

Comment

There's very little time and money put into the Linux desktop compared to windows. The Linux desktop needs a similar level of resources to match that behaviour. Unfortunately, there aren't enough Linux desktop users to justify those resources. Chicken, meet egg.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                I have sacrificed a lot of time for this driver, unpaid. All I can say is "patches welcome".
                Marek,

Do no get me wrong, your work is greatly appreciated. That is also the same for all non-paid linux developers.

However, AMD/ATI are simply dumping the linux support. Simply, they do not care about the 1% of the Desktop market share.

Linux is not a competitive solution for home user, or general desktop user. Corporate user can live with software render and SVGA soft driver. Media intensive users can't.

Soon, Web browsers would be HW accelerated, as you can guess, Linux versions are left in the dust.

BTW, what do distro co. give in back for the Linux infrastructure?

Comment

However, AMD/ATI are simply dumping the linux support. Simply, they do not care about the 1% of the Desktop market share.
                  That's not true. AMD employs several people, including myself, to work on the open source drivers and we provide documentation and support for community developers. In addition we support Linux with out proprietary driver. I'd say the level of support is commensurate with the size of the market or even exceeds it. I'd like to see more resources going to open source support as well, but it has to be sustainable.

Comment

Here's how it works.

If you want something done, you write the code to do it. If you can't code then you pay a company like Red Hat or Novell to do it. If you can't pay, then you ask nicely of a developer who can. If you can't ask nicely then you shut your mouth.

Corbin and Marek have done the majority of the work on r300g, and have been paid (to my knowledge) nothing. They owe nothing to you.

On top of that, three-fourths of your points have nothing to do with r300g, but I'll leave it up to you to figure out which ones those are.

Comment

In free market, here how it works:
                      1) Buyers vote by their dollars.
                      2) Buyers buy a product and expect it to work.
                      3) The selling company keep supporting their product, so their clients keeps buying their future products.
                      4) No support by the seller, no confidence by the buyer, buyers move on to another product, another platform.

As simple as that.

Comment

Working...
                      X