Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xf86-video-ati 6.13.1 Driver Released

Phoronix: xf86-video-ati 6.13.1 Driver Released

As the first stable open-source ATI X.Org driver update since the release of xf86-video-ati 6.13.0 back in April, David Airlie has today announced the immediate release of xf86-video-ati 6.13.1. This new driver update while a stable point release update does bring some notable changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Okay, as I can never keep all the requirements straight, which versions of libdrm, mesa, xorg-server and the kernel do you need to make use of "KMS uevent + sync support" and which versions for "color tiling for R300 through R500 ASICs"?

Confused as always...

Comment

Originally posted by Sadako View Post
      Okay, as I can never keep all the requirements straight, which versions of libdrm, mesa, xorg-server and the kernel do you need to make use of "KMS uevent + sync support" and which versions for "color tiling for R300 through R500 ASICs"?

Confused as always...
      Looks like 2.6.32 is enough for KMS uevent (if you're using Ubuntu Lucid, bear in mind that it uses the DRM code from 2.6.33). I think 2.6.33 will work for sync, but I'm not sure.

If you use Ubuntu, it's easy enough to install a newer kernel (assuming you don't use any non-free drivers). Compiling newer mesa/libdrm can be more difficult, but I was able to get the Ubuntu Maverick mesa and libdrm to build on Ubuntu Lucid. If you know how to build a package on Ubuntu, you know enough to get the newer mesa and libdrm installed.

Comment

You can install libdrm from experimental. But i only see a need for that for libva h264 support.

Comment

Well well, for the sync:
          ( http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/CompositeSwap )

Testing

The code for the above is present in several repos and patches:
          kernel - 2.6.33-rc
          libdrm - 2.4.17 or newer
          dri2proto - 2.2 or newer
          glproto - 1.4.11 or newer
          mesa - master branch (will be in 7.8)
          xserver - master branch (will be in 1.9)
          xf86-video-intel - master branch (will be in 2.11)
          For a change the only nonreleased item is the X server

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            You can install libdrm from experimental. But i only see a need for that for... libva h264 support.
            libva h264 support?

??
            from where?

Comment

Intel HD graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                Intel HD graphics.
                Damn. I thought there was something new and interesting for a minute.

Comment

Has anyone else noticed the extreme 2d slowness under kwin with compositing enabled? e.g. things like fading-in right-click menus or file-dialogs are unbearably slow. I bisected it and tracked it down to the commit that introduced swap&sync support and filed a bug here: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=28992. Would be nice if someone could confirm this.
                  BTW, shouldn't this thread be in the Open-Source AMD/ATI Linux-forum? :>

Comment

Working...
                  X