Linux Desktop Security Could Be A Whole Lot Better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonderful

Fantastic news. Two interested eyeballs found a large set of security problems and now the developers can begin fixing them. Linux becomes safer again.

Comment

the problem is

1 guy in 1 week

finds a million security holes or so

:/

............... :/

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
        the problem is

1 guy in 1 week

finds a million security holes or so

:/

............... :/
        He also found some non-free firmware and a proprietary BIOS. Go troll about that.

Comment

Wow

So a guy that uses Windows spreads news about some vulnerabilities in Linux. We all know there are Security holes that need to be plugged in Linux, but I find it difficult to fully trust a guy that uses Windows and then complains about Linux. Trusting an OS in which he has no access to the code to check for Security problems, and then pointing the dirty end of the stick at Linux.

This hypocrite needs to crawl back in Microsoft's intestines and continue eating their FUD.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
            So a guy that uses Windows spreads news about some vulnerabilities in Linux. We all know there are Security holes that need to be plugged in Linux, but I find it difficult to fully trust a guy that uses Windows and then complains about Linux. Trusting an OS in which he has no access to the code to check for Security problems, and then pointing the dirty end of the stick at Linux.

This hypocrite needs to crawl back in Microsoft's intestines and continue eating their FUD.
            Does it matter who airs the dirty laundry? I know one thing, the Linux community is very adept at getting out the detergent and wash any dirty laundry pointed out. End result: Linux gets even better than it already is.

Comment

So there is a guy who takes the time to look at linux from a security standpoint, finds a number of vulnerabilities and assists the devs to get them fixed. And all you have to offer as response is calling him hypocrite. Are you fcking serious?!

Btw if you know some security holes, how about actually doing something to get them fixed, like this hypocrite did.... LOL

Comment

its clear that he creates some bad reactions, when he shouts very undiffernciated statements about security.

You cant just test ubuntu and think 99% what I found here, must be there in debian and fedora and so on. If he would said Ubuntu has many security problems and maybe some of this bugs also exist in other distries... it would be ok.

But to say I tested Ubuntu but "LINUX Desktop" is unsecure or something like that is not very clever, if you want good response.

As far as I know fedora uses selinux, that should look for file permissions or am I wrong here? Xorg problems, wayland is coming so of course xorg stinks and dies now. The question is, is as example most of that bugs in a stable Debian or in a stable Redhat distribution.

Because most of the problems you have to have either hardware-access or at least a user account on the pc or maybe if you would directly use X network stack without ssh tunnel or something.

Yes its ok to point out some bugs, but at least check first if stuff is deprecated or if bugs are known, but ok it does not hurt much I guess.

Yes nearly forgot it, lightdm no major distro except ubuntu uses it. So basicly again a nearly Ubuntu only problem.

So he should sort out what are ubuntu only rpoblems and what is then still left on generall problems. Then you could talk about it more serious.

Its a bit like somebody calling linux bad because nvidia makes bad linux drivers. that break and are difficult to install because people cant fix abi problems in the driver except nvidia and stuff like that.
                Last edited by blackiwid; 24 May 2013, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Good presentation. And shame on Qt for not fixing the bug - even disregarding security implications, that's a segfault, possibly affecting every Qt program.

Not that I have a high image of Qt anyway (I tried developing a midly complex Qt GUI app half a year ago - I found 12 bugs in two weeks, and to top it off, when I went to report them, their bugtracker (Jira) was itself buggy...). The one bug I managed to report is still unfixed, despite having a test app and a bisect to the exact commit causing the bug.

Comment

Sorry, but could you please read the article again?

Originally posted by article
                    Sprundel formerly used Linux full-time but for the past several years converted back to Windows for business reasons and has just been a sporadic Linux user until his recent evaluation atop Ubuntu Linux, among other distributions.
                    Edit: after checking the ppt, this seems to be an error in the way it's written on Phoronix. Sorry about using it as an argument. In any case, it's still apparent that the guy has knowledge on both platforms, which is a good thing.

Besides. If he were an MS advocate, wouldn't it be a better strategy to stay quiet about the problems so it takes longer for others to find and fix them?
                    Last edited by DaVince; 24 May 2013, 09:18 AM. Reason: something wasn't quite right

Comment

Anyone else find it a bit strange that so many security flaws managed to get past so many developers in the first place? This is just 1 guy and he found a lot of problems that really shouldn't have ever been there in the first place. Just imagine how much more he'd find if he were paid. I'm aware linux's relative unpopularity is in itself a form of security, but it doesn't make me feel good knowing that security apparently isn't a priority to a wide range of people in the linux world.

Comment

Working...
                      X