No announcement yet.

Mesa 9.1 Results Are Mixed For Radeon Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any chance that we will one day see a benchmark without using the Unity desktop, which may or may not have an impact on the results?
    I really doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      High-end cpu + low-end gpu is my setup exactly
      This is very unbalanced setup. It basically shows that you don't really care about 3D performance at all. So, do you really care about 3D benchmarks when running on this setup? Why? I fail to understand that.

Comment

Originally posted by neatnoise View Post
        There are no alternative drivers for these cards after amd has dropped support.
        That's somewhat valid point. Though there is "catalist legacy" which AFAIK suppors older cards and uplifted to work with recent xorg, etc. So it's only partially valid statement. And hey, running other GPUs with opensource drivers is interesting idea as well! After all, I'm really unhappy with quality of proprietary driver and how it behaves. Most of time it would be unable to generate package properly for my system and installing it without package is troublesome and pollutes system to say the least. And deinstall usually wrecked. Should I admit it's a valid reason to dislike proprietary driver? It could wreck ubuntu on nearly every OS version upgrade for example. Especially if you installed version from AMD site. Yet I never faced something like that with opensource drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
          Hmm. I bet the reason why he uses a high end CPU when testing graphics cards is so that there won't be weird performance drops because of the cpu being under-powered.
          Right. However, high CPU usage by driver is a problem as well. And btw, opensource radeon driver is quite troublesome at this. I.e. there is severe CPU load when running 3D games. Attempt to profile this situation lead me to think that it's GPU driver who eats most CPU in it's ioctl. Unfortunately, tracing, profiling and so on has proven to be very delicate when it comes to graphics. I've got a number of hard lockups when trying to profile or trace things anyhow better so I only managed to get impression that ioctl of radeon's driver is a CPU hog. But not more than that.

Comment

I was investigating why World Of Padman appears to be slower with Mesa 9.1.

The fact is it's not slower at all. The problem is the GPU hardlocks twice during the benchmark and the recovery takes 10 seconds, so in total the computer is frozen (0 fps) for 20 seconds. The cause of the hardlocks is Hyper-Z and the reproducibility of the hardlocks is 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post

The fact is it's not slower at all. The problem is the GPU hardlocks twice during the benchmark and the recovery takes 10 seconds, so in total the computer is frozen (0 fps) for 20 seconds. The cause of the hardlocks is Hyper-Z and the reproducibility of the hardlocks is 100%.
              Not really related to the problem, but is Hyper-Z enabled by default with kernel 3.8 ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bitiquinho View Post
                Not really related to the problem, but is Hyper-Z enabled by default with kernel 3.8 ?
                mesa >= 9.1 + kernel >= 3.8 -> hyperz enabled

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post

Reason for introducing other measurements than FPS. Since player on FLOSS drivers will care more about maximal delay between current and next frame.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                    Reason for introducing other measurements than FPS. Since player on FLOSS drivers will care more about maximal delay between current and next frame.
                    Exactly, stuttering is much more irritating than running at a solid 20-30 fps.

Comment

Originally posted by 0xBADCODE View Post
                      This is very unbalanced setup. It basically shows that you don't really care about 3D performance at all. So, do you really care about 3D benchmarks when running on this setup? Why? I fail to understand that.
                      I'm a developer first, and I care a lot about cpu performance. Most of the things I do can also take full advantage of my six cores. Phenom X6 and a HD4350.

My primary criteria for a gpu: low tdp (<60W, electricity is not cheap), passive (no noise), runs on free drivers with most features.

That said, I do play some games, and also develop some 3d games and visualizations. For those I do care about these benchmarks. It just so happens that the other things have more priority for me than 3d oomph, but I can still care about getting more performance from my existing card.

Comment

Working...
                      X