Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Becomes A FreeDesktop.org Project

Phoronix: Wayland Becomes A FreeDesktop.org Project
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

To think it would have been faster to write Wayland over X11...

Comment

How hard would it be to port for example Kwin to use Wayland client or is that even possibe? And will wayland be usable in anyway in desktop settings anytime soon?

Comment

Originally posted by Mickabouille View Post
        That actually defeats 99% of the purpose of Wayland.

Plus, interestingly enough, all of the "extra work" needed to make Wayland run on its own is work that a Wayland-free X11 server also needed done to do all those fancy modern graphics compositing accelerated root-less doohickies you kids want.

Comment

Does anyone know what the X.org folks think about Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by Mickabouille View Post
            That makes zero sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
              How hard would it be to port for example Kwin to use Wayland client or is that even possibe? And will wayland be usable in anyway in desktop settings anytime soon?
              It is possible, KWin have been ported to Windows (I don't know if it still work or if the work have even been merged). I don't know that much about Wayland, but KWin is not that dependent on X11.

Comment

Woah

This is exciting. If someone made some kind of WayBuntu, I'd totally use it. GTK/Qt strict application compatibility? Fine, That's how I roll anyways because of my global menu bar and RGBA translucency usage. Incompatability with nVidia proprietary drivers? I'm using Nouveau with Gallium3D right now.

I want to see what kind of power consumption can be managed playing 3d games with less context switching and strict render-on-page-flipping. Why render 230 FPS with tearing when you can render 1/2x or 1x refresh rate with no tearing and lower power usage?

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
                  This is exciting. If someone made some kind of WayBuntu, I'd totally use it. GTK/Qt strict application compatibility? Fine, That's how I roll anyways because of my global menu bar and RGBA translucency usage. Incompatability with nVidia proprietary drivers? I'm using Nouveau with Gallium3D right now.

I want to see what kind of power consumption can be managed playing 3d games with less context switching and strict render-on-page-flipping. Why render 230 FPS with tearing when you can render 1/2x or 1x refresh rate with no tearing and lower power usage?

I wonder if it is time for the Wine developers to consider moving from X to a portable backend like Qt or Cairo, which not only would enable games on Wayland, directfb or whatever while still possible to run on X11. It would also enable running "standard" Wine on OSX with no X11 dependencies.

Comment

Originally posted by Elv13 View Post
                    It is possible, KWin have been ported to Windows (I don't know if it still work or if the work have even been merged). I don't know that much about Wayland, but KWin is not that dependent on X11.
                    Are you sure about that? I don't think KWin was ever ported, it was just the plasma shell (running with the normal windows window manager) and I thought I remembered reading at the time that there was no plan to port over Kwin because it was heavily, heavily dependent on X, and because most people just would want plasma anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X