Mono Working Close With Microsoft, Gets $12M USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
    Ehh, Mono's current efforts aren't targeting the enterprise, they're creating a framework for developing mobile games/applications. Microsoft could likely not care any less.
    PC sales are declining, in the tens of millions. Smartphone sales are still skyrocketing, in the hundreds of millions (and into the billions very soon). There's a reason Microsoft are sinking so much money into trying to be relevant on mobile.

Unity uses Mono to support scripting, which includes UnityScript, Boo or C#, Unity itself (runtime) is not written in C#, it's native and IIRC it's written in C++. How is that 'based on Mono'? By the way, do you know if the Mono devs get even a penny out of Unity's use of it as a scripting engine?
    It's not a lot of use without any scripting support. And no, I'm not privy to the details of any financial arrangements between Unity Technologies and Xamarin

By it becoming the dominant development platform on mobile.
    Anything less than majority is irrelevant?

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
      What are they working on? Mobile market, perhaps? I only care about Linux desktop.
      And whilst that's all I care about, it's not what these investors care about - and not what this $12M investment is for.

Comment

Originally posted by directhex View Post
        PC sales are declining, in the tens of millions. Smartphone sales are still skyrocketing, in the hundreds of millions (and into the billions very soon). There's a reason Microsoft are sinking so much money into trying to be relevant on mobile.
        Thanks for confirming mono is just MS and MS sponsored products. This is the reason why it has to die.

Comment

And whilst that's all I care about, it's not what these investors care about - and not what this $12M investment is for.
          I meant if they care about mono on Linux they should hire developers to make Linux applications. If they don't care about it they should stop their stupid marketing propaganda.

Comment

Thanks for confirming mono is just MS and MS sponsored products. This is the reason why it has to die.
            Er, what?

Are you stupid?

Ever heard of Windows Phone 7?

Comment

I meant if they care about mono on Linux they should hire developers to make Linux applications. If they don't care about it they should stop their stupid marketing propaganda.
              They're not marketing Mono on Linux. They're marketing Mono for Android and MonoTouch.

Comment

They're not marketing Mono on Linux. They're marketing Mono for Android
                I see a contradiction here. Android is the most successful Linux out there. You should have written "They're not marketing Mono on desktop or server Linux".
                Last edited by 0xCAFE; 25 July 2012, 04:37 AM.

Comment

I can't write for both iOS and Android in Qt
                  Actually, you can write for Android in Qt (although it is not complete yet, there are a number of KDE and Qt applications with android ports), and with Qt 5 android support will be increased considerably. An iOS port of Qt is also in the works by the community, although I don't know the current status.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                    Actually, you can write for Android in Qt (although it is not complete yet, there are a number of KDE and Qt applications with android ports), and with Qt 5 android support will be increased considerably. An iOS port of Qt is also in the works by the community, although I don't know the current status.
                    So you're correcting me by saying... I can't write for both iOS and Android in Qt?

Comment

Microsoft don't care if you write applications in C#/NET or in C++, as long as you do it on Windows desktops/laptops and Windows phones (and soon Surface). C#/NET is Microsoft's answer to Java in the enterprise, here we are talking consumer mobile. Meanwhile Visual Studio 2012 is branded with the 'going native' slogan with a major push in improving their C++ solution. WP8 will support native applications written in C++, which will run on top of the native WinRT runtime. Not even on current Windows mobile platforms are you relegated to C#/NET.

It's not a lot of use without any scripting support.
                      It's even less useable without the Unity runtime.

Anything less than majority is irrelevant?
                      If you are to earn the epitet: 'the platform that matters on mobile', yes.

Comment

Working...
                      X