No announcement yet.

KDE vs GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you define broken samba? The smb:/ protocol should always work, for mount -t cifs you need smbfs package installed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
      How do you define broken samba? The smb:/ protocol should always work, for mount -t cifs you need smbfs package installed.
      Firstly, and most importantly, it should by default have all the right packages install to make sharing folders easy (unlike Kubuntu)

When you right click a folder and try to share it, it should just work as expected. Kubuntu is broken in this respect, and while I'd love to be able to recommend it to other people because of its awesome package availability, it's probably not in a fit state to do so (with respect to networking anyway).

I personally can deal with all sorts of breakage, (although it's annoying) but I don't expect an end user to be able to.

Also, when making a share, it should represent the proper file attributes to the clients viewing the share. I have a share with files that are user:rwx,group:none,others:none and the file is still presented as user:rwx,group:r,others:r and I'm hoping this is due to the way I've defined the share.

While just sharing a folder via Dolphin or Konqueror should present a propeerly configured share be default (it doesn't seem to) I'm currently working on my samba config via modding smb.conf (another thing an end user shouldn't need to do)

There are various GUI samba configurators out there, but I haven't found one that doesn't mostly suck. There might be one I'm missing though, although this role should be performed by the standard KDE stack eventually (with a bit of luck, and much patience .

This stuff was broken in 9.04, and is still the same in 9.10 alpha 6 with all updates, and given their track record, I'd assume it's going to stay that way for the release version.

SMB file sharing should be fully functional out of the box, as it is in Windows. For me this issue would never drive me back to Windows, but I can see how it would for some people.

So I need some recommendations on what I should be telling people to try when they show interest in Linux.

Comment

• Ubuntu is the safe bet. Samba works out of the box, GNOME is rock solid and very easy to learn. You've got the superior packaging, you've got the pragmatic patent policy with the automatic codec/flash downloads. Really, there is no other distribution that can win over the unwashed masses.

Comment

• Originally posted by Remco View Post
          Ubuntu is the safe bet. Samba works out of the box, GNOME is rock solid and very easy to learn. You've got the superior packaging, you've got the pragmatic patent policy with the automatic codec/flash downloads. Really, there is no other distribution that can win over the unwashed masses.
          I must say I'm starting to think that way, I'm already testing Ubuntu 9.10 Beta to see how it performs in the ways your normal end user would like it to.

While the LOOK of KDE 4 is superiour to current Gnome, and probably their vision for their desktop going forward is as well, they still package too many broken bits in their stack. If it works, great, but if it does work YET, then get it the f_ck out of the distro until it does. Confusing the end user with trinkets that do nothing, or worse, only half work as expected waste the users time and confuse and frustrate them. Many features of KDE 4.3 are touted by the official web pages, yet aren't currently usable in any meaningful way. A lot works, and a lot doesn't.

The rumblings about Gnome 3.0 sound interesting, and they'll obviously would've seen what not to do having likely been pointing fingers and laughing at what happened during the KDE 3.5 -> KDE 4.1 period.

I personally have been a KDE user since 2002 or so, and still do prefer it in a lot of ways to Gnome, but for end users, they need what works, and that looks to be Ubuntu. Kubuntu seems to be far behind the level of polish that Ubuntu has in terms of reliability and predictability. Kubuntu sure does look nice, and the bits that works are great......

I guess I was wondering if there was a distro that shipped KDE 4 in a solid state, perhaps with their own in-house fixes for the stability issues and with the broken bits removed, so that I could confidently recommend it without the risks of having to quickly come up with customizations and work-arounds to fix or remove what a user finds that doesn't work.

I do hope this changes for KDE 4.4, but if it doesn't, I would say after the extreme patience I've displayed for the KDE desktop, it'll be time for me to personally jump ship to Gnome as well.

Comment

• including none working stuff is a hailmark of GNOME. Session managment is an example. The buttons are there. They do nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
              including none working stuff is a hailmark of GNOME. Session managment is an example. The buttons are there. They do nothing.
              If you're talking about multiple concurrent X sessions, then at least while using a composited desktop I'm not aware of any Linux platform that does this in a bullet proof way.

Comment

• no, I am talking about sessions. You know - snapshot if current running apps, which are all loaded when you load that session

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
                  no, I am talking about sessions. You know - snapshot if current running apps, which are all loaded when you load that session
                  Ahh, I see. This is kind of broken in KDE as well, but in the past when I've used the session management in Gnome I found it to be functional, but I guess that's changed by the sounds of things.

This is now on my list of things to check when I get back to my own machines.

Comment

• Originally posted by mugginz View Post
                    I must say I'm starting to think that way, I'm already testing Ubuntu 9.10 Beta to see how it performs in the ways your normal end user would like it to.

The rumblings about Gnome 3.0 sound interesting, and they'll obviously would've seen what not to do having likely been pointing fingers and laughing at what happened during the KDE 3.5 -> KDE 4.1 period.

I personally have been a KDE user since 2002 or so, and still do prefer it in a lot of ways to Gnome, but for end users, they need what works, and that looks to be Ubuntu. Kubuntu seems to be far behind the level of polish that Ubuntu has in terms of reliability and predictability. Kubuntu sure does look nice, and the bits that works are great......

I guess I was wondering if there was a distro that shipped KDE 4 in a solid state, perhaps with their own in-house fixes for the stability issues and with the broken bits removed, so that I could confidently recommend it without the risks of having to quickly come up with customizations and work-arounds to fix or remove what a user finds that doesn't work.

I do hope this changes for KDE 4.4, but if it doesn't, I would say after the extreme patience I've displayed for the KDE desktop, it'll be time for me to personally jump ship to Gnome as well.
                    Why use Ubuntu then? They have minimal commitment to KDE and there is the claim they neglect bugs or don't address them enough. Or can't. Furthermore, they cannot even have old hardware working properly especially since there is a constant issue whenever using effects (when effects are enabled). You'd be better off recommending Debian or Mepis if you are thinking of suggesting Linux to Windows users. I guess, Mint, too, as they at least polish 'Ubuntu' up but I am not sure how they handle or address the bugs.

Comment

• Originally posted by mugginz View Post
                      Ahh, I see. This is kind of broken in KDE as well, but in the past when I've used the session management in Gnome I found it to be functional, but I guess that's changed by the sounds of things.
                      No, it still works. I use it in Ubuntu 9.04.

Comment

Working...
                      X