No announcement yet.

How to remove telnet from OS X 10.8 ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove telnet from OS X 10.8 ??

I know this is hardly the most appropriate forum but it's the only computer one I'm registered in and I don't frequent apple forums so my question is:

I would like to disable the ability to use the tenet command on the Mac OS X 10.8 terminal.

What do I have to do, what specific file do I have to delete ?? it's in system ? library->??

Also on mountain lion why is there no option to turn IPv6 off?? it only shows me link-local or wtf

Just throwing some ideas... I don't know macosx at all. Try locating telnet via "whereis" equivalent. Then move the binary out as "telnet_" and compile a dummy C binary, like
    int main(void){return 0;}
    and call it telnet; so every time telnet is called it always succeeds, but nothing really happens.

Comment

os x is just a rebranded bsd, terminal command seem to all work the same.

I found a way, I have to edit the 'services' file and put a # on telnet

but the fucking thing says 'You don't own this file'

fucking mac

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
        os x is just a rebranded bsd, terminal command seem to all work the same.

I found a way, I have to edit the 'services' file and put a # on telnet

but the fucking thing says 'You don't own this file'

fucking mac
        I don't see how it's different from Linux. You need to edit it as root with "sudo".

Comment

I know Real the problem is that sudo nanoing the 'services' file on the terminal is a fucking pain

it has like 6000 lines and you have to arrow scroll etc...

is there any other way???

also what blocks should I block, telnet , ssh, but what others do hackers use for remote logins and code execution

basically I just need 80 and 443 all other ports can be blocked but # a million lines :/

Comment

The Firewall has a GUI, so use that instead if you want to block ports. The file you're trying to edit is for service processes, not ports.

Comment

You do not need to delete anything.

Make a backup copy of /etc/services, then simply block the telnet service ports with a comment ?#.?

#telnet 23/udp
              #telnet 23/tcp

Comment

Originally posted by keirawatson View Post
                You do not need to delete anything.

Make a backup copy of /etc/services, then simply block the telnet service ports with a comment ?#.?

#telnet 23/udp
                #telnet 23/tcp
                He already said that in post 3.

Comment

I blocked ssh and telnet, now I have to find shit like samba and those services that the ukrainians so love to exploit.

to use nano in os x's terminal with a file the size of 'services' is a fucking pain....

is that 'vim' thing working in os x's terminal?

anyway to edit this file using a normal text editor?

Comment

is that 'vim' thing working in os x's terminal?
                    Yes. However you can install a graphical version of vim for OS X:

Vim - the text editor - for macOS. Contribute to macvim-dev/macvim development by creating an account on GitHub.

anyway to edit this file using a normal text editor?
                    Do you think about TextEdit?

sudo /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit filename
                    Last edited by gbudny; 31 October 2012, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X