Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New "PTS Desktop Live" Is Coming Soon

Phoronix: The New "PTS Desktop Live" Is Coming Soon

For new readers to Phoronix.com and/or new users of the Phoronix Test Suite might not be familiar with PTS Desktop Live, our Linux distribution used for benchmarking that provides a fully-standardized software stack. This Linux benchmarking operating system will soon see a new major release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fantastic!! It should definitely be XFCE (for performance) and Ubuntu(or)Debian based (for ease to use and Steam best compatibility).

Comment

Debian/Ubuntu will need a lot of work for update kernel and drivers. And a lot of unnecessary packs
      Arch with a simple openbox will be great
      Arch also has ARCHISO for make a iso, UEFI out of the box, steam and all updated packs. An archiso with drivers and openbox will have less then 800Mb

Comment

Originally posted by souenzzo View Post
        Debian/Ubuntu will need a lot of work for update kernel and drivers.
        Why? It just needs oibaf ppa+kernel ppa
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
          Fantastic!! It should definitely be XFCE (for performance) and Ubuntu(or)Debian based (for ease to use and Steam best compatibility).
          It boots just into the PTS environment so doesn't really matter much, though it will likely be Xfce based anyhow if needing to fallback into a desktop for debugging.

Steam compatibility is irrelevant since it won't be supported -- if running from USB/DVD, not many systems have the dozens of GB of RAM that would be needed to support Steam for benchmarking plus it doesn't work well for live benchmarking and couldn't be pre-cached on the ISO.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by souenzzo View Post
            Debian/Ubuntu will need a lot of work for update kernel and drivers. And a lot of unnecessary packs
            Arch with a simple openbox will be great
            Arch also has ARCHISO for make a iso, UEFI out of the box, steam and all updated packs. An archiso with drivers and openbox will have less then 800Mb
            I have no experience with remastering Arch ISOs so unless someone was stepping up to volunteer I would stick with something Ubuntu/Debian or Fedora based... When it was Ubuntu based I had no issues updating the kernels and Mesa.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

PTSD

I get PTSD every time I accidentally click an ad...
              Keep up the great work!

Comment

(4.) If you're able to help out with any mirroring or hosting of the distribution ISOs
                Just send me the torret.

Comment

Originally posted by FourDMusic View Post
                  Just send me the torret.
                  Not into torrents for distribution since they aren't allowed on many corporate networks.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Not into torrents for distribution since they aren't allowed on many corporate networks.
                    Why not both? Torrents are by far faster than regular http downloads as they aren't limited by the servers upload speeds. I'm sure many people would seed if you create a torrent.

Comment

Working...
                    X