Adobe Flash 11.2 Beta Brings New Linux Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

/yawn

Hardware video rendering is back... that's good news. Bad news, it's buggy and crashy like always. Performance is worse than in 10.2.

Comment

Originally posted by lexa2 View Post
      Flash player on linux was buggy as hell, is buggy as hell and would continue to be buggy as hell as long as Adobe would continue doing like they were doing for last few years. Here is good discussion on topic about nVIDIA vs. Adobe Flash crappy ness on linux, welcome to join us: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=161664
      Also, here is yet another bug report to Adobe about bugs on linux, support it by voting: https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?...bug&id=3002806

What bothers me most with Adobe Flash Player for linux is that there are several bugs in it that were here for ages (several years) despite being long ago reported to Adobe bug tracker. Most notable are: black color is used as the overlay key when utilizing accelerated rendering under linux (results in flash contents showing through any other app having some parts of gui colored black); overlay remains enabled even after termination of all Flash Player processes - one would have to reboot the system in order to restore black color displaying back to the normal state; playing video inside Flash Player with VDPAU acceleration enabled tends to totally hang the system when used extensively; full screen video playback is totally broken on multi-monitor systems having Xinerama and/or TwinView enabled.
      All of the things mentioned in this post also effects me.
      Flash Player for Linux is broken for years and every single release of a new version lets me hope that some of these issues get fixed, but they're not.

Comment

Hey, good news everyone! Flash 11 is also horribly broken on Windows. I just installed 11.0 and then also tried the 11.2 beta on Windows 7, and HD video is choppy as hell. To the point of it being unwatchable.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Hey, good news everyone! Flash 11 is also horribly broken on Windows. I just installed 11.0 and then also tried the 11.2 beta on Windows 7, and HD video is choppy as hell. To the point of it being unwatchable.
          I can't second it. I watch 1080p and 720p videos from YouTube everyday using my APU C-50 based laptop. Windows 7 Starter, Firefox 7.0.1, Flash Player 11.x - no problems, plays videos like a charm as soon as the buffering process finishes.

Comment

Originally posted by gedgon View Post
            Hardware video rendering is back... that's good news. Bad news, it's buggy and crashy like always. Performance is worse than in 10.2.
            ...Not totally, on gma945 chipset in the past Hw acceleration worked by forcing it in mms.cfg file, now doesn't.
            I tried with an nvidia and youtube says the video is hardware accelerated (scaling), but all i can see is statics on the screen, flickering.
            ...Oh, and cpu use just to watch a 480p is about 50% (25+25) on an E7500 (!).
            That's more like an alpha.

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
              ... That's more like an alpha.
              You must be kidding! It's more like the usual release quality of Adobe Flash Player for linux.

Comment

Great, so now rather than just puking and pegging one core, it will puke and peg ALL the cores. That really seems like what we need most of all.

Comment

I don't have any problems with flash. The solution to achieve this is very simple: just remove it from your system. Opera with HTML5 videos works great in YouTube, for other sites there are various extensions to download videos. Since I've removed flash, I don't experience any more X crashes that used to bother me while I browse internet.

Comment

Originally posted by pejakm View Post
                    I don't have any problems with flash. The solution to achieve this is very simple: just remove it from your system. Opera with HTML5 videos works great in YouTube, for other sites there are various extensions to download videos. Since I've removed flash, I don't experience any more X crashes that used to bother me while I browse internet.
                    How do you watch YouTube? I don't see anything related to HTML5 there.

Comment

It crashes hard

Well, I tried it. It crashes in two stages. First it displays only black windows or totally unrecognizable video on youtube. Second, when I try reloading the page the plugin crashes. Reloading after that repeats the cycle.

Weird result and not at all usable.

I hope they fix the bugs fast, the new features seem interesting.

Now on all these different acceleration techniques, why can't we have one, say VA-API (that one is open) and have backends for it in terms of all the others on the different hardware: So base VA-API on vdpau on nvidia, base VA-API on XvBA on ati, etc. And for the open drivers (nouveau, radeon, intel) just implement only va-api.

Comment

Working...
                      X