Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State Of OpenGL 3.x, 4.x Extensions In Mesa

Phoronix: The State Of OpenGL 3.x, 4.x Extensions In Mesa

With a number of new OpenGL extensions having been recently added to Mesa, here's a look at where the OpenGL 3.x/4.x support stands today in the open-source OpenGL implementation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Where do people learn about GPU architecture and driver programming? If i were capable of it i'd contribute! Sadly this slow progress means all opensource drivers will be unseless for my purposes due to lacking OGL 4 support. Even more useless than crappy catalyst ...

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
      Where do people learn about GPU architecture and driver programming? If i were capable of it i'd contribute! Sadly this slow progress means all opensource drivers will be unseless for my purposes due to lacking OGL 4 support. Even more useless than crappy catalyst ...
      contact devs (IRC channel or mailing list), ask for small project to get into it. Because doing it without documentation is really hard, you'll probably best off by contributing to radeon drivers (as the nvidia documentation is still more lacking than not and intel drivers are developed primarily by intel itself)

Comment

Start by learning how to make a program that uses the feature you want to implement, then look in to the code for the most similar feature already implemented, read the hardware documents and start coding. Ask for advice on the appropriate mailing list.

Most games still only require 3.x

Comment

Cite your sources!

Michael Larabel never cites his journalistic sources.

The relevant source of the article is:

Comment

I have created a very unfinished Introduction to Mesa [1] its just meant to give you a bit of an overview of how Mesa fits together so you have somewhere to get started. I'm definitely no expert in Mesa or driver development but my other advice would be (if you haven't already) get a good OpenGL book and start reading. Next find a small extension you are interested in and have a go at implementing it. If the extension you pick is an extension that involves glsl you will also need to read up on yacc(bison)[2] as this is what is used to implement the glsl compiler in Mesa.

Good luck.

[1] http://www.itsqueeze.com/2013/09/int...rough-example/
            [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yacc

Comment

My Nvidia driver says to use OpenGL 4.3...maybe they could give something back to Linux?
              Would I still need Mesa to develop in ogl 4.3?

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                My Nvidia driver says to use OpenGL 4.3...maybe they could give something back to Linux?
                Would I still need Mesa to develop in ogl 4.3?
                Go with Nvidia drivers if You want to lear how to program OpenGL 3.2/3.3/4.x.

Also because Nvidia have better debug capabilities in their driver. (OpenGL bugs can be nasty... )
                And there are some very good intros to modern OpenGL on the web go look for them ("opengl 4 book" should get You some good tuts).

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Michael Larabel never cites his journalistic sources.

The relevant source of the article is:
                  http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/docs/GL3.txt
                  True, he never formally or specifically stated it as such, nor provided a link to it (as you have done), but its pretty fair to say that it should have been inferred to have been the source from his comments:
                  the "GL3.txt" documentation was updated to reflect Mesa's current position ... Below is the complete GL3/GL4 status as of today.

Comment

look likes the gl3.txt is update for intel driver only.
                    My cape verde for OpenGL 3.2 - 3.3 do not support: glsl 3/4 ; GL_ARB_geometry_shader4 and GL_ARB_vertex_type_2_10_10_10_rev but if you look at gl3.txt from mesa git repo radeonsi support nothing exciting!

Comment

Working...
                    X