Ouya Game Console Performance Is Disappointing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guess what

It's not about performance, it's about content. And, if you have seen the amount of Games and Apps available at launch for the Ouya, it's quite spectacular. But hey, the PS3 and 360 specs are quite disappointing by todays standards also. Besides, you've all had a year to study this, being surprised of the performance is ignorance and laziness; in which case we probably don't want you developing for it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarepusher
      It was the absolute worst idea on Earth to base an OS (INTENDED FOR A MOBILE PLATFORM) around some piece of garbage Java VM which has a bad habit of eating RAM like no tomorrow (minimum RAM requirements for Android 4.2.2 are now 768MB RAM - FOR A MOBILE OS!!! This is absolute insanity).
      Maybe the ubuntu phone OS will fix that for us since it is developed in C/C++ so no intermediary JIT or VM needed to execute instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Ouya would have been great if it was released a year ago.
        Technology moves forward and Ouya is getting behind.

Maybe will be decent as a HTPC and server, kind of like what many people use Raspberry Pi for.
        At least it is ARMv7, not ARMv6 unlike Raspberry Pi.
        Those are good points - the one about RPi stands out to me, because today you can get something like the MK802 II for about the same price and probably triple the performance while being a smaller device. RPi, IMO, is great for what it was intended for, which was NOT media stuff and XBMC. I feel a little bad for the devs of RPi because people just blindly bought it thinking "oh I'll just make a media PC out of it" not realizing that it isn't going to be very good at that, and then people start trash talking about it because it isn't some high-end performer that they somehow expected of it. These are the same people who want 512MB of RAM and SATA and all that stuff. Some people really don't understand why things cost the way they do.

For the record, RPi was intended for education and development. That being said, it's hardware is more than sufficient.

Comment

Oh BTW - I saw somebody saying that XBMC 'runs just fine on my Android phone' - no it doesn't - the audio lag is terrible and it pretty much makes any movie you play unwatchable. Try XBMC on iOS however and be amazed at how well it runs by comparison.
          My Pivos plays and runs XBMC just as fine as any of my iOS devices (all however are far better performing the Raspberry Pi which is running linux). So much for your theory, as that statement is pure BS. Perhaps you saw a version of XBMC running on an android device that did not have any acceleration support.

Comment

Lastly, to the moderator I'd say -

if you are not a dev, then your opinion doesn't count. The ground rules are very simple - if you are not a dev, you don't have a frame of reference on any of this. Period. I don't care if you can run a benchmark or not - that does not make you knowledgeable on anything.

Once you become a dev, you can start grasping what an absolute unmitigated disaster a garbage collector is to your average runtime performance (especially when said OS puts you inside a Java VM as your 'jail').
            I haven't tackled anything android yet, but how much can you jam into the NDK to avoid java and GC? I do realize this is inferior to just doing it in c++ (or c). You would hope google would in the future provide a way for developers who care to totally avoid java where control and performance matters.

Comment

I'm sorry but you are either lying or you can simply not tell the difference between the iOS version or the Android version based on some technical inability to perceive the very clear differences.

The Android version can never be as good as the iOS version because of the disastrous and totally dogshit audio latency that is STILL an issue to this day (no, the 'OpenSL fast mixer' path was only for one phone - and even then it still pales in comparison to CoreAudio on iOS). It can also never be as good as the iOS version because of the simple fact that you don't have a Java garbage collector that is hellbent on trashing your runtime performance at a periodical basis (make that every 5 minutes if you're running Google's crapware Play Store services as they seem to like to rely on the garbage collector - 'memory management' is soooo '90s, as is performance apparently). How are you likin' those 20 to 50ms garbage collector stalls?

So please - come up with some real performance figures and don't com with your 'appeal to authority - I am a moderator so I can make a vague claim like 'My Pivos plays and runs XBMC just as fine as any of my iOS devices' - that tells us exactly nothing. Notice I actually provided details and facts as opposed to 'my Pivos just runs XBMC fine' - you might want to start upping your game in that department if you want to have any hope of winning this argument. So much for 'pure BS' and who exactly is putting that into practice.
              Latency is not an issue with video playback. AE takes care of the timing and keeping it in sync with the video. Furthermore, when working with passthru audio it become nearly a non-existent issue. This is further more backed up by XBMC's own statistic counter which accurately displays AV sync errors. Latency for video playback is a non factor in most scenarios. Where it would come into play is would be realtime mixing with recording, again not an issue with playback. Garbage collector stalls are also easily overcome with a proper playback buffer.

Comment

Hmm, I'm not very up to date with the performance figures of these ARM devices; so what would the OUYA be roughly equivalent to, in terms of previous consoles? The original Xbox?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  Hmm, I'm not very up to date with the performance figures of these ARM devices; so what would the OUYA be roughly equivalent to, in terms of previous consoles? The original Xbox?
                  Mostly comparable to Xbox at graphics, but with a lot more CPU performance.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                    The main reason Google chose Java is because it's easier to code in it than in C++ (plus from what I've heard Google loves everything Java) and that the performance hit isn't that big. It's just a tradeoff so they can get more people coding for it.
                    Technically google bought android from a company that already had gone a ways down the java road. I suspect that if it were google today they might prefer the type of sandboxing that chrome does with its pepper interface. Frankly java was going down for application use before android came out and now its pretty much just enterprise and android keeping it going, I guess some academic too. For the stuff I do I wouldn't touch java with a 100meter pole, it never lived up to what it promised.

Comment

Originally posted by philip550c View Post
                      Nah, it could do that now, with XBMC for android, it works well on my old phones with worse hardware than the OUYA.
                      Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      Stripping Android from it would actually hurt it's functions as a HTPC. As it has been mentioned, xbmc already works fine with the Ouya and sticking with Android means that you can still utilize services like Netflix/Hulu and still utilize features that they offer like "SuperHD" and AC-3 surround. Those features are missing on the PC web browser versions of those services. Switching it to linux would actually reduce those capabilities. I've got an Ouya and eagerly awaiting it for just plain HTPC purposes and never wanted it for games in the first place.
                      Hulu doesn't have anything worth watching, my library and Red Box does as good a job as Netflix would since where I live bandwidth enough for decent quality streaming is way too damn expensive. I also don't use any first party Google software, no Android, no Chrome and no ChromeOS, I'm not willing to take an advertiser's word that they wont violate my right to privacy even if they are giving away open source software.

Comment

Working...
                      X