Fenrus Linux: A Distro For Performance, Developers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mir3x View Post
    But how to install fenrus ? I cannot mount that image or write to dvd cause it has 20Gb ...
    u can't install it only boot and session
    why can't you mount the img, u using vmware? u could always use a 32g usb pen ... he has no servers so he dumped all the software on the img

"This means that average Joe will be reading on the graphs that Fenrus is, wow!, 100% faster regarding some test but only a 50% slower regarding another test, and he will be taking Fenrus to be a much faster distro when the reality would be that Fenrus and the other distro are on pair 2:1 vs 1:2 regarding both tests"

it's called marketing, if he said "hey guys check my linux distro 1111" no one would care but since he has all these graphs that you look and go "no way" many more people will try it.

I still feel it's 2 early for this guy to be pimping this
    Last edited by Pallidus; 26 March 2013, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by juanrga View Post
      This means that average Joe will be reading on the graphs that Fenrus is, wow!, 100% faster regarding some test but only a 50% slower regarding another test, and he will be taking Fenrus to be a much faster distro when the reality would be that Fenrus and the other distro are on pair 2:1 vs 1:2 regarding both tests.
      Good thing this distro isn't for Average Joe!

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
        it's called marketing
        My worry was about the non-symmetric nature of the graphs. Google "misleading graphs"!

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post
          Good thing this distro isn't for Average Joe!
          In case that anyone did not notice, there was some sarcasm in the post.

Comment

Originally posted by juanrga View Post
            My worry was about the non-symmetric nature of the graphs. Google "misleading graphs"!
            I've been thinking about this, how to fix it, and I haven't figured it out yet. In some way, "-50%" indicates "half as bad", and "+100%" is "twice as high". It also allows me to do math on the data points (the average of 25 fps and 75% fps is 50fps, and that math works also in -50% and +50%)

the primary objective for the graphs (for me at least) is to see if there's a regression, or an improvement, compared to a previous series of builds.
            I do want to keep the graphs useful for that.

Comment

Originally posted by fenrus View Post
              I've been thinking about this, how to fix it, and I haven't figured it out yet. In some way, "-50%" indicates "half as bad", and "+100%" is "twice as high". It also allows me to do math on the data points (the average of 25 fps and 75% fps is 50fps, and that math works also in -50% and +50%)

the primary objective for the graphs (for me at least) is to see if there's a regression, or an improvement, compared to a previous series of builds.
              fwiw this linearity is useful, including for the graphing software (R with ggplot2) to calculate and draw the std deviation bars

Comment

This sounds sane to me. The sunspider benchmark does the same thing.

Comment

hey fenrus will this remain your pet project or would you actually consider forming a small community and bring in more devs ?

Comment

I appreciate your answer but if +100 points in a graph represent a 2/1 ratio (i.e., "twice") then -100 points would represent a 1/2 ratio (i.e., "one half"). If your distro is twice faster on test A, but the other distro is twice faster regarding test B then, on average, both distros have the same performance. This is the precisely the result obtained if you take the average of +100 and -100, which is zero. This graph is accurate and represent reality.

However, taking the average on your misleading graphs we would obtain (100% - 50%)/2 = 25%, giving the false impression that your distro is a 25% faster on the average, when the truth is that both distros have the same average performance (i.e. your distro is 0% faster).

The problem here is that you are mixing a percentage (i.e. a relative value) with a baseline (i.e., a reference for an absolute value).

You do not need misleading graphs for seeing improvements or regressions. Your misleading graphs will be only giving a false appearance of performance in cases where there is none.
                    Last edited by juanrga; 27 March 2013, 11:25 AM.

Comment

fwiw this linearity is useful, including for the graphing software (R with ggplot2) to calculate and draw the std deviation bars
                      Not a valid argument, if data X is linear then subtracting a baseline will maintain that linearity: (X - b) is linear as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X