Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New Driver Is Out! Meet Oktoberfest!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stormking View Post
    @opera:

You have every right to be skeptical about the new driver. For the last years, ATI has done everything to disappoint Linux users. They just have to earn back our trust by actually publishing a better driver instead of just talking about it.

But please stop turning this thread into an private war against people who just haven't learned to distinguish between marketing talk and facts.

Careful Stormking

In the beginning, all I said was "wait till the driver's out", and any statement on ati's greatness was based on Michael's preview. I sincerely doubt that Michael is lying to us.
    Last edited by Xipeos; 06 September 2007, 10:59 AM. Reason: were to was

Comment

• Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
      Careful, Stormking

In the beginning, all I said was "wait till the driver's out", and any statements on ati's greatness were based on Michael's preview. I sincerely doubt Michael is lying to us.
      I am certainly not lying to you about any of the information in any of the articles. I or no one else involved with Phoronix would ever do that. I have been using and testing this driver MANY times since July when I first began trying out this new driver. It is certainly a brand new experience on the ATI Linux front.

This afternoon I am publishing Mark Shuttleworth's thoughts on ATI's new Linux driver as well.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
        I sincerely doubt that Michael is lying to us.
        I don't think he's lying, too. But there could be differences in our opinions on what is an actual improvement.

For example: If XVideo on TV-Out still isn't working with 8.41, I'm done with ATI. This bug has been there for 20 months (!!!) , now. It worked before. I just can believe how anyone can break such an important feature and not fix it for such a long time!

Comment

• Maybe he should delay Gutsy till the AIGLX driver Waiting for that too... I am no real friend of the restricted modules package used in U. It should be splitted between optional graphics drivers and the rest as it would be much cleaner just to remove the outdated drivers completely. But when you need one of the other modules to go online that would be not so good...

Comment

• Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
            Yes... always the skeptical one. You are right to be skeptical. I do hope the driver is true because it's sad for everyone to be built up based on false promises.
            Heh... I've reasons to be skeptical. You do. Opera does (Heh... I'd offer advice to chill, but Michael's already done it...twice...). In the end, it's all about what have you done so far and what will you do in the future. If they do what Michael's implying they're about to do, AMD will make up for much of the wrongs of the company they bought.

Comment

This bug has been there for 20 months (!!!) , now. It worked before. I just can believe how anyone can break such an important feature and not fix it for such a long time!
              Considering that they've not put much of any manpower on fixing/extending the Linux drivers for the old codebase, it's not at all surprising that something like this can go that way for so long. It's no different with Hypermemory. Without at least the dedicated portion of the Sideport/Hypermemory on an Xpress200M chipset, the chips as bad or worse than an Intel GMA 9xx part. They had THAT working right back ages ago, broke it, and never fixed it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael View Post
                This afternoon I am publishing Mark Shuttleworth's thoughts on ATI's new Linux driver as well.
                Heh... All you're doing is making me regret that I've not been in touch with my DevRel contacts over there to have had access to the betas at this point. That'll learn me, it will...

My take would be...

1) It's about time.
                2) Great job AMD.
                3) Keep doing it.
                4) This is going to only help Linux Gaming and Workstation use.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  Considering that they've not put much of any manpower on fixing/extending the Linux drivers for the old codebase
                  I don't care if something like this happens because they haven't enough manpower or if they are simply incompetent. I'm not interested in excuses, I want results. Meaning a driver that lets me use the features of the hardware I bought.

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  it's not at all surprising that something like this can go that way for so long
                  It's not "not surprising", it's simply unacceptable.

Comment

I don't care if something like this happens because they haven't enough manpower or if they are simply incompetent. I'm not interested in excuses, I want results. Meaning a driver that lets me use the features of the hardware I bought.
                    Heh... That's why AMD was seeing the vitriol we were saving up JUST for ATI... >:-) I happen to hold the same attitude. I just wanted to make clear WHY this mess was the way it was.

Won't have me arguing that point. Read some of my commentary in the recent past in the threads on the subject. I don't consider the lack of AIGLX, XVideo, Hypermemory, and a few other things as acceptable- you will never find me thinking them anything other than unacceptable.

Comment

I'm not interested in excuses, I want results. Meaning a driver that lets me use the features of the hardware I bought.

Of course, Stormking, we all want working hardware.

I'd much more understand if a linux newbie complained about hardware support, but for you veterans it's really surprising. Even more so, considering that big companies only "recently" started caring about linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X