Plan 9 Is Now Available Under The GNU GPLv2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Not quite. The article says it's now dual-licensed, so the drivers could only be ported to the GPL version of it.
    So? As long as it's well written, working and won't get you sued, why should you care if the LPL version doesn't come with the driver bundled? It's still the Lab's version you're contributing to so it's not like you're forking it or anything...

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
      So? As long as it's well written, working and won't get you sued, why should you care if the LPL version doesn't come with the driver bundled? It's still the Lab's version you're contributing to so it's not like you're forking it or anything...
      Well, such changes would not be upstreamable. So you would have to fork it to contribute such code.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        Well, such changes would not be upstreamable. So you would have to fork it to contribute such code.
        Oh... I figured Bell Labs will be maintaining an official GPL branch along side the LPL one while requiring non-driver changes to be submitted as LPL if people want those upstreamed.
        Hasn't occurred to me this is a one-time deal.

Comment

Good

It'll set an example to BSD trolls and show them that GPL style licenses are on the increase while BSD style licenses are declining.

Comment

Originally posted by endman View Post
            It'll set an example to BSD trolls and show them that GPL style licenses are on the increase while BSD style licenses are declining.
            Sources please, before you come out with such a wild statement.

Comment

Originally posted by endman View Post
              The no.1 OpenSource license is the Apache License.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                What for? Is there any specific code in Plan 9 that could be both useful in Linux, and practical to port across? I'm thinking probably not... any desirable features could have been (and perhaps were) copied in Linux years ago if anyone wanted them, and I can't imagine the code is all that useful... anything valuable would need a lot of rewriting to port it to Linux kernel APIs and subsystems...
                Plan9's TCP/IP stack that is many, many times faster, more reliable and standard compliant than linux' shaky TCP/IP implementation. However, i wonder how well it would fit into the Linux kernel.

Plan 9 does have an extremely robust implementation of TCP/IP including IPV6.

Comment

Originally posted by JX8p View Post
                  A new OS project has emerged called Akaros, which is under the GPLv2. The Plan 9 Lucent Public License is GPL-incompatible, so this dual-licensing allows Plan9 code to be incorporated into Akaros.
                  I personally like the Akaros project. I hope that they will release ISO images soon.

Comment

Working...
                  X