X.Org ATI Driver Supports New Power Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Niagra View Post
    But nevertheless thank you for bringing power management to R700 based cards on linux! This saves nearly 17W for me in regular system operation, since the Radeon 4670 is only actually powersaving when those powerplay features are activated.
    my 4850 _should_ clock down to 160mhz gpu and 500mhz ram since I patched the bios. But the funny thing is that mine saves exactely 17W, too. With option "ForceLowPowerMode" on that is. No power saving without options, but I didn't try the other option.

Thanks again to the Xorg team and AMD!

PS: could you use someone with a R700 but without any clue for beta testing?
    or is this already beta testing?

Comment

Thats very awesome news, though I already bios-modded my 4850 for low voltages .Good job agd5f .

Comment

Excellent news. Power states are the last thing that's keeping me using FGLRX. I couldn't justify the extra battery usage.

To everyone involved, thanks for all your hard work!

Comment

I was wondering, is there some way to see if power management is working, aside from checking battery life? (hd3470 on a laptop, haven't found a way to check video card temperature.)
          And most importantly, thanks for implementing power management on the awesome open driver !

Comment

How do you read out your GPU's temperature when using one of the open source drivers. aticonfig --od-gettemperature doesn't work without fglrx.

Comment

sometimes, it doesn't even work /with/ fglrx

Comment

Originally posted by p4ddY View Post
                How do you read out your GPU's temperature when using one of the open source drivers. aticonfig --od-gettemperature doesn't work without fglrx.
                On my HP nx8220 various status values are exposed via '/proc/acpi/'. So
                Code:
                [val@tux ~]$ cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/TZ2/temperature
                temperature:             37 C
                is the temperature of my GPU. TZ1 is the temperature of my CPU.
                If you have a laptop and use powertop on battery you would also see if power saving is in effect when less Watt are consumed.
                On the fact I noted earlier, that without power saving enabled my GPU readily goes up to 60?C, I wanted to add that 60?C is more or less the temperature my card has when it is under load in fglrx, which somehow suggests that it doesn't idle at all when using the radeon driver without power saving enabled.
                And can I help somehow as tester (but I must say I am non-technical person)? I have a Mobility X600 RV380.

SignorRossi.

Comment

Since bugs.freedesktop.org is down, i'm reporting the bug here.

I have an evil RS482 [Radeon Xpress 200M], and ClockGating and/or DynamicClocks didnt/dont work for me, if i activate it in xorg.conf and restart X, my laptop hangs hard. not even sysrq magic keys can't do a thing. this was true for old dynamicclocks behaviour also
                  DynamicPM works but since clockgating is supposed to do the hard work, is suboptimal at this point agd5f feel free to contact me if you want me to debug further this problem.

best regards and keep up the hard work. btw, does dri2 works for 4xx yet? what do i need? newer drm? do i need mesa with gallium? or the mesa shipped with jaunty works?
                  Last edited by groo_pcd; 16 April 2009, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by groo_pcd View Post
                    Since bugs.freedesktop.org is down, i'm reporting the bug here.
                    Seems to be working fine now.

I have an evil RS482 [Radeon Xpress 200M], and ClockGating and/or DynamicClocks didnt/dont work for me, if i activate it in xorg.conf and restart X, my laptop hangs hard. not even sysrq magic keys can't do a thing. this was true for old dynamicclocks behaviour also
                    DynamicPM works but since clockgating is supposed to do the hard work, is suboptimal at this point agd5f feel free to contact me if you want me to debug further this problem.
                    I attempted to fix this in git. Let me know how it goes.

best regards and keep up the hard work. btw, does dri2 works for 4xx yet? what do i need? newer drm? do i need mesa with gallium? or the mesa shipped with jaunty works?
                    You'll need kms/mm enabled drm, new libdrm, new mesa, new ddx. Easiest method to experiment with it, if you don't want to rebuild everything, is to try Fedora 11.

Comment

Ok, its working fine now both dynamic and clockgating thanks a lot

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                      You'll need kms/mm enabled drm, new libdrm, new mesa, new ddx. Easiest method to experiment with it, if you don't want to rebuild everything, is to try Fedora 11.
                      I gather from your answer that dri2 is indeed working with r4xx? Is it usable, aka compiz and xv working? if so, me wanna

Hmm i know a senior member here in phoronix forums has a PPA with cutting edge X/radeon stuff.. can't remember the name. Maybe he could provide a fresh update to jaunty?

best regards

Comment

Working...
                      X