Wayland Still To Be A "Tech Preview" In GNOME 3.12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by liam View Post
    I don't understand this. Unless I'm mistaken they've said, for awhile(since before the 3.8 release, I think), that 3.12 was going to be mostly ready (that is, available through gdm but not default), with 3.14 expected to switch over defaults.
    No, 3.10 was supposed to be the last one to use X as default. 3.12 was planned to have fully working Wayland as default. https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/Wayland

Comment

fedora 21 already applires wayland server on desktop environment?

Comment

Before the Michael article: Epiphany + WebKitGTK/WebKit2 + Wayland + Accelerated Compositing
        Looks interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by jukkan View Post
          No, 3.10 was supposed to be the last one to use X as default. 3.12 was planned to have fully working Wayland as default. https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/Wayland
          Yeah, well... the link does say "Proposed roadmap". Having everything working on Wayland by 3.12 was a goal, but if it's not ready in time, then there's no point in pretending otherwise. And if I had a dollar for every software project I've seen delivered on time, I'd be broke.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
            Yeah, well... the link does say "Proposed roadmap". Having everything working on Wayland by 3.12 was a goal, but if it's not ready in time, then there's no point in pretending otherwise. And if I had a dollar for every software project I've seen delivered on time, I'd be broke.
            I agree, it's not like GNOME is a company and we are their customers. There was a plan and it didn't work out perfectly, big deal. However, on a larger scale, the state of Linux desktop and the pace it's progressing at, is saddening.

Comment

Originally posted by jukkan View Post
              However, on a larger scale, the state of Linux desktop and the pace it's progressing at, is saddening.
              You think it's slow? Funny... I'm sure a lot of people would argue that things are moving far too quickly...

Comment

Sorry, I mean fedora 20 in the previous messages.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                  You think it's slow? Funny... I'm sure a lot of people would argue that things are moving far too quickly...
                  Yes things are changing but I'm referring to actual user experience.

Comment

Working...
                  X