Half-Life 2 Games Released For Linux On Steam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    Try "fps_max 61" command in Source-based games console (work everywhere except L4D2).
    Doesnt have any effect for me. I find that in order to reduce the mouse lag to playable levels, I have to reduce the screen resolution to 1280x720 and turn off FSAA. This pretty much locks the frame-rate at 60fps and is playable, but looks much less nice

Comment

Wrong...

Originally posted by startzz View Post
      Just saw something "interesting" about hl 1 for linux -
      Linux System Requirements
      Minimum: Linux Ubuntu 12.04, Dual-core from Intel or AMD at 2.8 GHz, 1GB Memory, nVidia GeForce 8600/9600GT, ATI/AMD Radeaon HD2600/3600 (Graphic Drivers: nVidia 310, AMD 12.11), OpenGL 2.1, 4GB Hard Drive Space, OpenAL Compatible Sound Card

whereas for windows :
      Recommended: 800 mhz processor, 128mb ram, 32mb+ video card, Windows XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

Just imagine, if there would be any aaa game, linux would need like 16-core 8ghz cpu with 6x vga to compensate its software "performance"
      That is someone wrongly copy pasting requirements. I finished the game on ingel GMA 950 and low end Core2duo (for lack of weaker hardware).

You have to be quite stupid to believe those requirements...

Comment

Originally posted by Wildfire View Post
        I don't know their exact reason for labeling these games as beta, but my guess would be: Either these games do not yet meet Valve's internal quality standards and/or they wish to keep less experienced gamers away to reduce the number of bogus bug reports until the games are sufficiently stable.
        If I had to guess, that would be the most likely. The odd thing is other than TF2 which refused to start with the official AMD drivers (corrected now) I have yet to run into a problem so they're doing a pretty good job of internal testing must be.

Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
        ...Further more, Valve need gamers to test the games. People who already have played the game are far more useful to them.
        They can tell Valve if the game runs as good on Linux as on windows...
        I know it looks like I care, I'm not displeased with what's going on I just think it's a messed up bit of nomenclature. If Valve wants to thank me for testing having some official weigh in on the forums about bugs that are found would be nice...

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
          I know it looks like I care, I'm not displeased with what's going on I just think it's a messed up bit of nomenclature. If Valve wants to thank me for testing having some official weigh in on the forums about bugs that are found would be nice...
          I think we agree, but the official place to report bugs is not the Valve forums.
          They have the github for that.

Valve Software has 52 repositories available. Follow their code on GitHub.

You will have to create an account for that though.

Edit:
          Last edited by Gps4l; 11 May 2013, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by XapaJIaMnu View Post
            That is someone wrongly copy pasting requirements. I finished the game on ingel GMA 950 and low end Core2duo (for lack of weaker hardware).

I plan to try HL1 trilogy on my old Toshiba Laptop (turion64 X2 1.9GHz) and set it to its base 800 MHz CPU speed with its bult-in 690M (X1250) gfx, forcing the game to use a single core and the open source drivers @ native 1280x800 resolution and see how it fairs. Other ioquake3 games play well on it, but not forced down to their minimum.
            Last edited by Thetargos; 11 May 2013, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by XapaJIaMnu View Post

Yeah its a bit weird Intel GPU isn't even mentioned in those requirements, since they are more than adequate.

Can't take the requirements listed in Steam too seriously though. It's like the ones that list OS as "Ubuntu 12.04".

Just because you use an entirely different distro doesn't mean you can't run it.

Comment

Wait a minute

Since when could you run two Steam Source games at the same time? I'm on Ubuntu 13.04 and I can alt tab between L4D2 and HL2 without a problem. I didn't even know you could run two source games on the same account at the same time, much less the same partition/Steam install etc. . .

Comment

Originally posted by bawkbawkboo1 View Post
                  Since when could you run two Steam Source games at the same time? I'm on Ubuntu 13.04 and I can alt tab between L4D2 and HL2 without a problem. I didn't even know you could run two source games on the same account at the same time, much less the same partition/Steam install etc. . .
                  You can only log into Steam on 1 machine at a time. Once you are logged in, i don't think there are any restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by bawkbawkboo1 View Post
                    Didn't Valve tell that they want you to be able to connect the SteamBox to multiple monitors and game pads at the same time so you can have gaming sessions with your friends while using only one SteamBox? Cause that requires you to start even the same game multiple times (haven't tested that).

Comment

OK, I just never knew you could do that. I'm using the propreitary drivers with my HD 7850 and it's mostly fine, but there are still a few lighting glitches I noticed in HL2, esp witht he flashlight.

Comment

Working...
                      X