Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
    At the moment the R9 290 sells at 350-400 ? in germany
    Nvidia has no 7xx card at this price point. But it has the gtx 680 sold also at 350-400 ?.

The nvidia card is cooler, but has o 1GB RAM less, so it depends on what you prefer... a cool card, or a card that is a bit more future-proof in RAM.
    While in the showed Benchmarks the GTX 680 is slightly ahead of the R9 290 most of the time, the R9 290 is better in OpenCL stuff.

So from this point of view the newer nvidia 7xx GTX wreck the R9 290, yes, but this comes with a higher price... if you go for the same price point its not that bad!
    The problem for AMD is, that they are late. The R9 290 should have been out at the time the 680 GTX arrived. That would have been quite some competition!

Keep it going AMD! We nee a good nvidia competitioner!
    sry. I did not see the 770 GTX with 4GB. So ignore the above and read the fixed comparison:

At the moment the R9 290 sells at 350-400 ? in germany
    Nvidia has the 770 gtx with also 4GB RAM at the same price point.

The nvidia card is cooler, yes, but has the small disadvantage of directx 11 vs 11.2 and no MANTLE ord TrueAudio-competitor.
    While in the showed Benchmarks the GTX 770 is slightly ahead of the R9 290 most but not all of the time, the R9 290 is better in OpenCL stuff.

So from this point of view the newer nvidia 7xx GTX wreck the R9 290 in gaming and temperature a bit, yes.
    The problem for AMD is, that they are late. The R9 290 should have been out at the same time the 770 GTX arrived or better the 680 GTX. That would have been quite some competition!

Keep it going AMD! We nee a good nvidia competitioner!

Comment

@tomtomme

What are you talking about?
      7970 Ghz is winning against 680 more than loses.
      290 wins against 780 more than loses preformance wise, costs less and power consumption under load isn't really much higher. The problem in Linux driver exist though and that is sad.

Comment

Originally posted by sunweb View Post
        290 wins against 780 more than loses preformance wise, costs less and power consumption under load isn't really much higher.
        In windows only. In linux it is quite the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          In windows only. In linux it is quite the opposite.
          yeah, but when I look longer at those numbers - it also may be the benchmark-selection Michael is running. When you look at the unigine-heaven 4.0 results the 770 and the r290 are good contenders. Same for 2 GPU-test results and for 1 luxmark. But all those are no real world games. The only real game benchmark michael delivered here is OpenArena and Xonotic. Where are Prey and the other games he used to show? Source games would definitely show us much more meaningful results.... and yes michael, I know about the problems benchmarking those... however, a benchmark-selection with acually two games for 14-gaming-gpus is kind of wrecking phoronix... :/

see here
          Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
          Last edited by tomtomme; 24 November 2013, 03:29 PM.

Comment

I love how we measure penis size by frames per second in video games.

I've got engineering work to do using FEA/CFD and much more. OpenCL is a must. AMD Radeon 290 gives me that sweet spot of performance, price and longevity.

FreeBSD is the system powering the PS4. One could surmise the FreeBSD stack will eventually have some AMD Radeon love move over to FreeBSD proper.

Linux is getting more and more love every day from AMD with LLVM/Clang and company. Primary focus is OpenCL, at the present.

Anyway you slice it, 99.9999% of applications ARE NOT GAMES. Windows has that priority and AMD is doing very well.

Catalysis running optimized on Linux for applications I use to do work at the peak of performance works for me.

Steam driving OpenGL optimizations and more on Linux makes sense. They have a financial interest in it.

Inflammatory commentaries on how AMD hasn't resolved Linux to match Windows when the Linux community does very little for AMD's bottom line is illogical and irrational.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
              yeah, but when I look longer at those numbers - it also may be the benchmark-selection Michael is running. When you look at the unigine-heaven 4.0 results the 770 and the r290 are good contenders. Same for 2 GPU-test results and for 1 luxmark. But all those are no real world games. The only real game benchmark michael delivered here is OpenArena and Xonotic. Where are Prey and the other games he used to show? Source games would definitely show us much more meaningful results.... and yes michael, I know about the problems benchmarking those... however, a benchmark-selection with acually two games for 14-gaming-gpus is kind of wrecking phoronix... :/

see here
              http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...gtx780ti&num=1

Not sure how you could paint the 290's support in Linux as anything but a wreck.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                FreeBSD is the system powering the PS4. One could surmise the FreeBSD stack will eventually have some AMD Radeon love move over to FreeBSD proper.
                You can't surmise anything by that. The PS4 is not using Mantle, it is not using openGL, it is using it's own API. Saying that you can surmise better support because of the PS4 carries no more weight then the then AMD's performance improving because of Windows DX 11.1 support.

Comment

I didn't know how people still thought that AMD has better OpenCL performance...

Yeah it has better performance when is a simple calculation.... if you try to make something bigger then the performance drops drastically and eventually just stop working.

I know that complexity has a performance hit but amd has much more performance drop than the other vendors and eventually the Opencl kernel stop being able to compile in amd when the rest (intel/Nvidia) still works fine.

AMD stated that they're working on it like 2 years ago... but there's almost no progress done.

So, take care if you buy an AMD card planing on doing some big stuff with Opencl.

PS. Does True audio works on linux?

Comment

Originally posted by Sdar View Post
                    Yeah it has better performance when is a simple calculation.... if you try to make something bigger then the performance drops drastically and eventually just stop working.
                    Ding, ding, ding.... we have a winner! You are absolutely right, the more complex the calculation the more AMD's performance declines.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post

Not sure how you could paint the 290's support in Linux as anything but a wreck.
                      I did not. Read my post, and the linked one too.
                      It is a wreck in most benchmarks shown here. My question was if the shown benchmarks are even relevant or if we need more games (assuming WE are gamers)

Comment

Working...
                      X