No announcement yet.

A Crazy Qt-Based 3D Wayland "Maze" Compositor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The game aesthetics remind me of good old psDoom: http://psdoom.sourceforge.net/
    I think it could get a renaissance, with Doom 3 being open-sourced since a while.

Comment

This particular implementation might not be super-useful as a desktop environment, but I do believe that user interface innovations from games (especially those that require fast user response like FPS games) could act as an inspiration for a very efficient type of desktop interface.

One thing I really found useful was the radial menu upon right-click in the NWN1 game (the straight menus usually triggered by the mouse do not make much sense). Something similar would definitely be useful on a desktop too and might also be more touch friendly.

A 3D "maze" could for example be a rather handy way to organize groups of tasks (a "documents" room, a "browsing and IM" room etc...) for some people with a spatial memory, but would probably just turn confusing for most people.

Comment

Imagine a multi-user enviroment where two people work on the same pc and "decorate" their rooms with their windows but can also walk over to the other room.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          Imagine a multi-user enviroment where two people work on the same pc and "decorate" their rooms with their windows but can also walk over to the other room.
          thats what i wanted to say, would be awsome for live tutorials online and such

Comment

Qt5 is having me really excited!

And that was one of the coolest proof of concepts to date :P

Comment

Brilliant! wow fucking brilliant!

Comment

As a memorial to Qt4

Comment

One use for this could be simulated environments for teaching. For example if you're training to become a network engineer, a mainframe room could be simulated in 3D like this and every terminal could be a virtualbox session. Some thing like this would help train students on very expensive hardware in restricted areas.

Comment

Originally posted by flim View Post
                    As a memorial to Qt4

That's all in the same process though... ...or so I hear
                    With this QT5 and Wayland in this example, the programs are actual sepreate clients.

Comment

I'll admit, realistically...not much real-world usage. That being said, its a very nice demo, and I'll probably end up installing it when Fedora switches to Wayland just to have it as an option at the login screen to play around with from time to time.

My kudos to the developer for having the idea and implementing it, it is very original and very creatiive =D
                      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                      X