Wine 1.7.0 Released, Starts Again With The Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
    Well if you consider the amount of games that don't even use directx 10 yet, still lots of games coming out that only use 9 it won't be that long before wine actually becomes truely awesome, especially for older titles.

Liam of GamingOnLinux.com
    Well that all is going to change with Xbox One.

Yeah, before most games used DirectX 9 so they could be ran on old consoles like Xbox and Xbox 360.
    But now with Xbox One, all new games are probably going to use DirectX 11.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Well that all is going to change with Xbox One.

Yeah, before most games used DirectX 9 so they could be ran on old consoles like Xbox and Xbox 360.
      But now with Xbox One, all new games are probably going to use DirectX 11.
      I'm not sure what the exact number is, but I'd be willing to guess that there are thousands of d3d9 games. Many of which are awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
        If they're not accepting FOSS d3d9 drivers in WINE, then they're pulling a Sun Microsystems. Maybe WINE is being turned into the next MySQL? A fork would also allow for a rebranding.. How much of WINE is from codeweavers vs community contributors?
        Without NVIDIA or AMD/ATI support its useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
          Without NVIDIA or AMD/ATI support its useless.
          But there is AMD support

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            But there is AMD support
            But AMD privative and opensource drivers in compatibility and performance on wine sucks in this moment

Nvidia privative drivers is required if you want compatibility and performance on wine in this moment
            Last edited by pinguinpc; 03 August 2013, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
              But AMD privative and opensource drivers in compatibility and performance on wine sucks in this moment

Nvidia privative drivers is required if you want compatibility and performance on wine in this moment
              Benchmarks please. With AMD DPM on, using r600g with an Evergreen/Northern Islands card. Because the other benchmark here in this forum says otherwise (although I agree that it's not tested on Wine).

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                Benchmarks please. With AMD DPM on, using r600g with an Evergreen/Northern Islands card. Because the other benchmark here in this forum says otherwise (although I agree that it's not tested on Wine).
                This improvements only have importance into system but in wine done work

You have investigate on WineAPPDB from actual state from various apps on wine (especially games)

Im maintainer for wine since 1.1 versions and have tested wine in lastest 5 years on hardware ATI and NVIDIA in this years

this is my actual apps maintained (for see this you must be have register on wineappdb)

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=maintainerView&iId=168847 &sTitle=Your+Maintained+Apps

And this is my blog with my work register at this time

ATI has improvements (before ATI cards not have capable display SM3.0 games, actually works much more titles but performance and compatibility still far awaycompared to nvidia)

If you have wine with performance and compatibility, your only choice is nvidia with privative drivers

Comment

Even though open source AMD drivers are slower than Catalyst at the moment, in wine with d3d gallium they will probably be faster. Why? No OpenGL translation overhead...

NVIDIA proprietary drivers will be left in dust in Wine...

Let's hope they will accept this... It is gallium-specific, yes, but it costs them nothing to include this...

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                    Why? No OpenGL translation overhead....
                    It's nowhere near that high. You don't suddently get 2-5x better performance without doing some huge, huge optimizations everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                      It's nowhere near that high. You don't suddently get 2-5x better performance without doing some huge, huge optimizations everywhere.
                      He was referring to the gallium3d d3d9 state tracker and with wine patched appropriately to use it. I havent seen benchmarks yet and I still havent tried it for myself yet, but I'm almost finished with another project so I will be trying it out soon. Even with only a 50% performance gain over wines stock d3d9 it would be worth it.
                      Last edited by duby229; 04 August 2013, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X