Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geometry Shaders Soon To Hit Mesa, GL 3.2 Is Close

Phoronix: Geometry Shaders Soon To Hit Mesa, GL 3.2 Is Close

Patches for supporting OpenGL Geometry Shaders within Mesa/Gallium3D are said to be published soon, which is a big step that will make Mesa closer to supporting the OpenGL 3.2 specification...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I was wondering if they where going to skip Mesa 10 and go directly to 11.

Comment

Great news for the OSS graphics drivers!!

Comment

Good news indeed. Hopefully Apple will sleep long enough with their OpenGL enablement, so we get common OGL version on both platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
          Good news indeed. Hopefully Apple will sleep long enough with their OpenGL enablement, so we get common OGL version on both platforms.
          It'd be an interesting idea if Apple started pulling in Mesa for OS X. I know there was a comment by an Apple engineer that Avahi was "Superior" than Bonjour, the implications being that Apple may be looking to pull it into OS X as their official mDNS implementation. If they used Avahi for mDNS, and Mesa for GFX I'm wondering if we'd end up with a BSD kernel and Linux userspace haha
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

You can see this from my actual messages in the IRC log posted, but when the article says that patches are to be published "soon", it actually means whenever I finish writing Piglit tests for all of the cases, which will probably take a week or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Plombo View Post
              You can see this from my actual messages in the IRC log posted, but when the article says that patches are to be published "soon", it actually means whenever I finish writing Piglit tests for all of the cases, which will probably take a week or so.
              A week or so from now qualifies as "soon" for me.

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              It'd be an interesting idea if Apple started pulling in Mesa for OS X. I know there was a comment by an Apple engineer that Avahi was "Superior" than Bonjour, the implications being that Apple may be looking to pull it into OS X as their official mDNS implementation. If they used Avahi for mDNS, and Mesa for GFX I'm wondering if we'd end up with a BSD kernel and Linux userspace haha
              Do they use GPL software? Or BSD and proprietary only?

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                KHTML was under the GPL before it became Webkit wasn't it? And Apple started the KHTML->Webkit movement so I mean they aren't AGAINST using GPL code. And I know they release a lot of stuff back to Darwin / FreeBSD so that they themselves dont have to maintain it.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  KHTML was under the GPL before it became Webkit wasn't it? And Apple started the KHTML->Webkit movement so I mean they aren't AGAINST using GPL code. And I know they release a lot of stuff back to Darwin / FreeBSD so that they themselves dont have to maintain it.
                  I don't know about KHTML, I wasn't aware of Webkit before it was Webkit. I'm asking because I really don't know, I wasn't trying to imply anything. I'm aware they use proprietary and BSD code, I wasn't aware they use GPL code. Do they?

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                    They use some GPL2 software. Nothing GPL3.

KHTML was LGPLv2 i think.

Comment

Working...
                    X