Great work on new karmic OSS stack/driver 3D performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great work on new karmic OSS stack/driver 3D performance

Without too much detail, under threat of not getting world of goo to work at reasonable frame rate under linux and r300 I would have to out an old copy of windows 95 I tried the new karmic stack that comes in the latest beta and it's night and day performance, on r300 under 9.04 it was totally unplayable now under 9.10 beta it's perfectly smooth. Really an amazing difference in 3D performance, linux will live to fight another day on that computer...

I tried it out on with my HD 4850 and I got severe texture corruption on World of Goo.
    Compiz works decent, few glitches here and there. But pretty much any GL game that I've tried gives me the same issue.
    Check out Neverball:
    Last edited by SolidSteel144; 21 October 2009, 11:55 PM.

Comment

If you had fglrx/Catalyst installed, make sure you don't have any leftover cruft (particularly, old libGL.so* files): https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troublesho...thRadeonDriver

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
        If you had fglrx/Catalyst installed, make sure you don't have any leftover cruft (particularly, old libGL.so* files): https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troublesho...thRadeonDriver
        Never installed fglrx, but I think I know the problem. Time to reinstall!

Comment

Originally posted by SolidSteel144 View Post
          I tried it out on with my HD 4850 and I got severe texture corruption on World of Goo.
          Compiz works decent, few glitches here and there. But pretty much any GL game that I've tried gives me the same issue.
          I think you didn't get this post right. It's about the open-source driver on Ubuntu 9.10 and a ATI R300 based gfx-card. 3D with the stock open-source drivers that come with 9.10 is not supposed to work with your Radeon HD4000 series, nor with the HD3000 and HD2000 series. Only Radeons X1800 and older cards have functional 3d with this driver.

To enable 3d on your card with the OSS driver try the xorg-edgers PPA on launchpad.net, or compile the necessary software from their GIT repositories and drm-next Linux.

Comment

Never installed fglrx, but I think I know the problem. Time to reinstall!
            If that doesn't work, it's probably because the R6/7xx driver doesn't support texture compression yet.

Games vary, but there is usually a way to turn it off.

Comment

Originally posted by jntesteves View Post
              I think you didn't get this post right. It's about the open-source driver on Ubuntu 9.10 and a ATI R300 based gfx-card. 3D with the stock open-source drivers that come with 9.10 is not supposed to work with your Radeon HD4000 series, nor with the HD3000 and HD2000 series. Only Radeons X1800 and older cards have functional 3d with this driver.

To enable 3d on your card with the OSS driver try the xorg-edgers PPA on launchpad.net, or compile the necessary software from their GIT repositories and drm-next Linux.
              Which is what I did. I had gotten to the cutting edge PPA and boom! Computer just freezes.

Comment

Check out Neverball:
                Well I know howto fix that problem. I posted the bugreport myself, and it is solved now.

See:

I don't know if it is included in git. Well it says it should be in git, but it didn't work for me. Just patch git with the included patch. Solves the pixmap_to_texture conversion problem.

EDIT:
                You have to patch the radeon git driver btw.
                Last edited by tball; 22 October 2009, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X