Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Gets Flavored With Weston SPICE Back-End

Phoronix: Wayland Gets Flavored With Weston SPICE Back-End

The latest back-end to be published for Wayland's Weston compositor is for Red Hat's SPICE...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What is the state of SPICE these days? The official site is pretty stale. About a year ago I tried to virtualize my desktop with KVM/SPICE but I found the performance pretty bad. And the clients sucked big time. The best one was on Windows, but that's not of much use to me because I run a Linux-only shop at home. The Linux clients didin't do mouse scroll wheel. There's also an Android client but it seems like a one-off effort because it hasn't seen any updates in quite a while. Ideally, I would have a small Android PC (they are getting quite popular and powerful these days) next to my display and everything should run on the server tucked away.

I think SPICE holds much promise. I hope it materializes soon.

Comment

Не плохой такой курсач! Хотя его ценность непонятна... видимо делать бэкенды легко.

Comment

Originally posted by stalkerg View Post
        Не плохой такой курсач! Хотя его ценность непонятна... видимо делать бэкенды легко.
        For those curious... he said:

Not such a bad idea! Wayland backends are really easily to implement apparently, though this one's value isn't as clear.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by kobblestown View Post
          What is the state of SPICE these days? The official site is pretty stale. About a year ago I tried to virtualize my desktop with KVM/SPICE but I found the performance pretty bad. And the clients sucked big time. The best one was on Windows, but that's not of much use to me because I run a Linux-only shop at home. The Linux clients didin't do mouse scroll wheel. There's also an Android client but it seems like a one-off effort because it hasn't seen any updates in quite a while. Ideally, I would have a small Android PC (they are getting quite popular and powerful these days) next to my display and everything should run on the server tucked away.

I think SPICE holds much promise. I hope it materializes soon.
          If you go with the full 'Red Hat virtualization stack' - kvm / qemu / libvirt / virt-manager etc - it's definitely what you want to use. Performance is a lot better than the old VNC method. virt-manager acts as a SPICE client for this case, so I think does the newish Boxes tool in GNOME. RH's work on SPICE is mostly focused on this space.

I don't have much experience using it outside the RH / Fedora virt stack, though. spicec is still very basic. I think there's a more fully-featured standalone client now, but I'm not really sure. 3D passthrough is being worked on but isn't quite ready yet, AFAIK.

Comment

9P?

Would it be possible to implement a 9P backend?
            P9 from Plan 9 from Bell Labs.

Would it be a good idea?

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
              If you go with the full 'Red Hat virtualization stack' - kvm / qemu / libvirt / virt-manager etc - it's definitely what you want to use. Performance is a lot better than the old VNC method. virt-manager acts as a SPICE client for this case, so I think does the newish Boxes tool in GNOME. RH's work on SPICE is mostly focused on this space.

I don't have much experience using it outside the RH / Fedora virt stack, though. spicec is still very basic. I think there's a more fully-featured standalone client now, but I'm not really sure. 3D passthrough is being worked on but isn't quite ready yet, AFAIK.
              I'm using qemu + kvm + spicec, and wile spicec is indeed very minimalistic, to say the least, it does what I need from it. And the performance/graphics correctness is much better then using vnc. With vnc I used to experience partial redraws or other corruption from time to time, using spice I only see such problems when running Lync (the guest is Windows 7).

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Would it be possible to implement a 9P backend?
                P9 from Plan 9 from Bell Labs.

Would it be a good idea?
                Again, why would we want to?

Are you a Bell Labs employee or something? Why do you keep insisting that people switch to using stuff from Bell Labs while giving any reason we should do so?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                  Again, why would we want to?

Are you a Bell Labs employee or something? Why do you keep insisting that people switch to using stuff from Bell Labs while giving any reason we should do so?
                  As far as I can tell from reading articles and summaries on Plan 9 (I could be wrong, i wasnt around for Plan 9. I only get to see it in hindsight) it was basically the ultimate theoretical operating system. So everyone is now going "These features we have now? Plan 9 had them years ago!" and trying to see what else Plan 9 got right.

Again, I could be wrong, i only know what ive heard and read and all of that is in hindsight.
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    As far as I can tell from reading articles and summaries on Plan 9 (I could be wrong, i wasnt around for Plan 9. I only get to see it in hindsight) it was basically the ultimate theoretical operating system. So everyone is now going "These features we have now? Plan 9 had them years ago!" and trying to see what else Plan 9 got right.
                    That makes sense. But it doesn't really explain why we should completely abandon what we already have and port all of our applications and infrastructure to use stuff from Plan 9.

Comment

Working...
                    X