Say Hello To The Catalyst Linux Driver Christmas Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by evolution View Post
    That is almost for sure the main contender for "lie of the year" in Phoronix forums...
    I agree that's just nonsense, but IMHO the lie of the year award should go to the member "phoronix" for the post "steam is coming to Linux this summer".

Comment

One special thing to try: checkout xvba with hd 5 series now, maybe even hd 6 if possible. You will most likely need xvba-video 0.7.7+ now.

splitted-desktop.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, splitted-desktop.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Do NOT try h264 l5.1, that's lost time...

Comment

However, when the PDF release notes have been uploaded, you can just expect them to say a few things.
        Fixes
        ------
        1. Fixed glxgears

Comment

Lol Alt+Tab. Ever since I've bought an ATI card I've literally been afraid to use that keystroke as you never know what's going to happen. At this point I wouldn't be too surprised if something blew up next time I pressed it.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
            I agree that's just nonsense, but IMHO the lie of the year award should go to the member "phoronix" for the post "steam is coming to Linux this summer".

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
              - taking ages to wake up or not waking up at all.
              That happens to me with OS drivers (vanilla drivers on vanilla kernel) too

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
                i just want them to fix 3 things:
                - not redirecting fullscreen windows even when switching the virtual desktop
                - taking ages to wake up or not waking up at all.
                - no tearing with acceptable performance
                if these 3 issues get fixed i will live happily ever afer.
                No worries, they will fix that. Unfortunately, this means that the driver will have to render every 32nd text character upside down, the color blue as green and that you will get high-pitched squeeky noice from the GPU when watching video

fglrx is developed using a "feature trading" design principle you see.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                  Not true. With 10.11 it made half life 2 and warcraft3 finally completely unplayable. Warcraft3 freezes randomly, half life 2 freezes reproducable:

I tried many different settings in amdcccle including the default config. If you look in the wrong direction at a wrong angle it just freezes. At this canal it was everytime. I tried a geforce 8800gt right after that in the same PC and same wine config etc. and it worked extremely well. Unfortunately the card seems to have a memory error.

I'm now using again the hd4670 but with open source driver. With lib32-mesa-git and xf86-video-ati-git warcraft 3 is pretty laggy and slow but playable... I remember it being much better with r600c on 32bit.
                  With r600g it is actually much better but there I got no mouse pointer...

The only things I am interested in with new catalyst releases:
                  * Will gaming work with NOT freezing either the game or the whole X every several minutes? (i.e. like with nvidia)
                  * Will this issue finally be fixed?
                  Technical support and discussion of the open-source AMD Radeon graphics drivers.

catalyst seems to be the only driver I know that has these issues.
                  * Will xvba+vaapi finally work for every h264 video?
                  Examples that were still not working with 10.11:
                  - http://www.sintel.org/download/ < the 1080p mp4 format.
                  - The video I recorded.
                  This may seem counter intuitive - but its actually entirely possible the problem could stem from them fixing a driver issue rather than introducing one.

Wine developers have catered to ati's driver issues in the past to improve playability, problem is then when the driver is fixed and behaves properly wine causes an issue.

I can't really be sure which it is, but considering my own experiences and the majority vote now seems to be they are improving, it certainly wouldn't suprise me.

Comment

I wonder if they managed to fix any customer submitted bugs considering that the unofficial AMD linux bugzilla page has been broken for a weeks now.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      One special thing to try: checkout xvba with hd 5 series now, maybe even hd 6 if possible. You will most likely need xvba-video 0.7.7+ now.

splitted-desktop.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, splitted-desktop.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Do NOT try h264 l5.1, that's lost time...
                      ... so ... what you're saying is try it, but don't waste your time trying it?

Comment

Working...
                      X