A Note To Canonical: "Don't Piss On Wayland"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drago View Post
    Michael you have contacts with Valve, can you ask them what they think about it.
    That would be interesting, indeed.
    In particular, as it *might* even be the case that Valve is actually the driving force behind this.

The whole timeline looks a bit suspicious to me.

They started the first internal commits in mid 2012.
    Negotiations with Canonical about the Linux base system of the SteamBox could have happened in early 2012.
    Also, they aim for a first (productive?) release end of 2013.
    That agrees with the planned release of the SteamBox, end of 2013/early 2014.

And how the hell did they manage to convince AMD and Nvidia (especially AMD) to join if it wasn't for the Steambox?
    Seriously, Ubuntu alone wouldn't make them support Mir and probably cut Wayland support.
    I can't think of AMD supporting Mir and Wayland. That may be different for NVidia, though.
    Last edited by entropy; 05 March 2013, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Thumbs up the Canonical. Wayland isn't going anywhere at the moment. It's already been two years + and no real implementation.

The Wayland Developers need to be truthful and stand up and say what is wrong with Wayland. There needs to be discussion.

Comment

Remember all the Nay Sayers about PulseAudio. Canonical proved that was the way to go and now PulseAudio is a must in any install.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
          Thumbs up the Canonical. Wayland isn't going anywhere at the moment. It's already been two years + and no real implementation.

The Wayland Developers need to be truthful and stand up and say what is wrong with Wayland. There needs to be discussion.
          I guess you haven't read the article? The discussion should have been there like a year ago, certainly before starting with an own implementation. And judging from the comments, the Canonical guys seem to have no idea about Wayland, just that Mir is going to be different somehow. This is pure nih and souce control politics imho, which is rather sad.

Comment

It is bad, because it is not a collaboration but competition. It increases pressure on toolkits, on drivers, on developers, and in quality of service in the end. I hope mir dies.
            Collaboration AND competition are both good things. Heck, you may hate Mir now even though very little has been made of it. But who knows, this could also be the thing to push Wayland into getting serious and actually becoming used!

It's good for us users, as it offers a future chance for choice. Let's hope both Wayland and Mir become good healthy rivals.

Comment

Remember all the Nay Sayers about PulseAudio. Canonical proved that was the way to go and now PulseAudio is a must in any install.
              PulseAudio is from Red Hat, not Canonical. If anything, Canonical hampered PulseAudio adoption by using it too soon in a misconfigured state. Also, the guy behind PulseAudio (Lennart Poettering) didn't have anything good to say about MIR.

Comment

No its not, Ive been sticking with ALSA, although I dont think PA is as bas as others think it is.

I also dont think Mir is as bad as people are making it out to be. Canonical isnt starting from scratch, they're taking an already complete display server and are making it more linux friendly. The idea of it at a glance is nice, although it wouldnt surprise me if it has major flaws on a technical standpoint, for example, how they intend to do multiple monitors.

My main gripe with Mir is the fact that its Ubuntu who is getting it. Ubuntu is basically the gateway for migrating people to linux, so when they decide to use things like Mir or PA, or even wayland, people will encounter unavoidable problems and give a bad lasting impression. So while Mir could end up being a success, if they push it too soon there WILL be problems.

I too would like to know Valve's opinion, since they could get royally screwed over by a decision like this, in which case Steam for linux could die.

Comment

i despise pulse audio. its messed up 2 machines i have, including a dedicated recording appliance. i fully disabled pilse on that to get things working properly. pulse audio tries to be too smart for its own good and breaks stuff.

i have no problems with competitors on display servers. too many developers are way too thin skinned and need to not take all this stuff so personally. its about THE code, never MY code.

Comment

Thumbs up the Canonical.
                    Kid get the fuck outta here. Fuck canonical and fuck ubuntu. Their 0.0000000001% contributions to linux doesn't even count, yet they are first to say "we invented this". Unity when they could improve gnome-shell, now MIR(what a retarded name) when they could help wayland.
                    There should be some GPL changes to disallow faggots from canonical use damn code for free. PERIOD.
                    Last edited by phoen1x; 05 March 2013, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoen1x View Post
                      Kid get the fuck outta here. Fuck canonical and fuck ubuntu. Their 0.0000000001% contributions to linux doesn't even count, yet they are first to say "we invented this". Unity when they could improve gnome-shell, now MIR(what a retarded name) when they could help wayland.
                      There should be some GPL changes to disallow faggots from canonical use damn code for free. PERIOD.
                      Hey they contributed like... 3 lines of code to the Gnome Calculator once. Even Microsoft contributes more to Linux.

If I were some other company betting on Ubuntu Desktop right now like Valve I would be worried. They couldn't even get Unity out as a decent product in 11.04. Now they want to develop their own display server, switch to rolling release, move everything to Qt/QML and develop Ubuntu Touch in the meantime. Time schedule 1 year. They are going to fail so hard with this.

Comment

Working...
                      X