Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Java SE 7 Finally Sees The Light Of Day

Phoronix: Java SE 7 Finally Sees The Light Of Day

Just landing in Europe now for the Phoronix Oslo event taking place tonight in Aker Brygge, but the news on the Internet seems to be that -- at long last -- Oracle has officially released Java SE 7...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is anyone still using the official Java or have we all moved to IcedTea?

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
      I have never shipped anything that runs on IcedTea. Nor have I heard of anyone doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
        You got it backwards. Who is using IcedTea?

A. Java is opensource enough for most developers.
        B. Java works.
        C. Java is what customers use.

Comment

OpenJDK is the java enviroment, icedtea-web is the java plugin, both are fully open source and in a fully libre GPL license.

Comment

Using openjdk and icedtea here.

Anyway i read about Java 7 was moving to openjdk:

Comment

Haven't run into anything that doesn't run on OpenJDK/IcedTea myself.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                Haven't run into anything that doesn't run on OpenJDK/IcedTea myself.
                PCGEN : "work" but lots of lists are totally bugged (like, no item in the item list, no spell in the spell list...)

Minecraft : Crashed at launch the last time I tried.

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing1 View Post
                  OpenJDK is the java enviroment, icedtea-web is the java plugin, both are fully open source and in a fully libre GPL license.
                  I think IcedTea is a project by RedHat to give OpenJDK a UNIX compatible build system and fill in any portions that were not released by Sun. icedtea-web is one of them.

Also, while OpenJDK is open source (and licensed under the GPL as you say), Java itself is not. The source code to various bits is missing.

Originally posted by RavFX View Post
                  PCGEN : "work" but lots of lists are totally bugged (like, no item in the item list, no spell in the spell list...)

Minecraft : Crashed at launch the last time I tried.
                  The only issue I had was sound in Runescape and I filed a bug report to have it fixed. IcedTea has made a great deal of progress and its compatibility with the official java is nearly perfect. The most common issue is that some programs rely on Java identifying itself as Sun Java. If they do not see that, they have issues.

When was the last time you tried and did you try IcedTea or OpenJDK? Did you use an absurdly old version from your distribution's repositories that was from before OpenJDK passed the official Java compliance tests?
                  Last edited by Shining Arcanine; 29 July 2011, 10:24 AM.

Comment

IcedTea is NOT "the" java distribution

The icedtea distribution is not run through Oracle's QA testing, and it has many many bugs that are not in the standard jdk

Their testing takes weeks, that's why build 147 was up there for so long before they finally released it.

In my experience many commercial java applications won't run at all with icedtea

Also in my experience these commercial apps are only tested with the official jdk, so the bugs are not even reported to icedtea.

icedtea may be feature compatible, but it most certainly has not had even close to the same level of testing.

Comment

Working...
                    X