Open-source CAD programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    It looks like QCad is built using Qt 3, which means it's themeable and you can make it look like anything you want, really. The ugly motif interface might just be the ugly default.
    But I need some kind of system-settings for qt3 then, since the normal qt4 settings do nothing to change its look. Will have to investigate that. Does that solve the same issue with scribus?

PS: Why these programs use such old libraries when QT4 has been around for 5 years now is beyond me. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can answer this.

Comment

If you have qt3 installed, there should be a qt3-based qtconfig, look for it.

As for Qt4, I agree, but it was a major redesign and porting things was not always trivial, especially for major and complex programs. But now that qt3 has basically been orphaned, it is not a good idea to depend on it.

Comment

EDIT: I don't have qt3 installed anymore, so I can't check, but when I was still using qt3 stuff, that's how I changed the theme. The default themes are not terribly gorgeous, but should be considerably better than the motif one. And you can always download other themes.

As for scribus, if it is also based on qt3, then you can also theme it with qtconfig.

Comment

did you try Archimedes?

Comment

I only know the .bmk file extension, its for the revit architecture but the others, i have never seen any of that..probably that extensions is for CAD presentation format and not for modeling.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
              did you try Archimedes?
              http://www.archimedes.org.br/
              Looks way too early in development and probably stalled. QCad and FreeCAD seem more advanced.

Comment

a draftsight beta is available for linux

not opensource but free

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsig...ad-draftsight/

a draftsight beta is available for linux

not opensource but free
                  Nice! I've been waiting for them to release the beta for a while, but was worried when last month they removed the "beta version for linux coming soon" text from the main page.
                  It's nice of them to release a beta, but what's the deal with not providing a tar.gz for those that don't use .rpm or .deb based systems? I'll have to test that on my openSUSE system later as I'm on Arch right now.

Comment

think BRL-CAD looks good too..... but maybe not for your purpose

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                      Nice! I've been waiting for them to release the beta for a while, but was worried when last month they removed the "beta version for linux coming soon" text from the main page.
                      It's nice of them to release a beta, but what's the deal with not providing a tar.gz for those that don't use .rpm or .deb based systems? I'll have to test that on my openSUSE system later as I'm on Arch right now.

They target the most popular distros. Fair enough i think.

But its 2011 and all the FOOS people MUST seat down and decide on a common way of installing packages in ALL linux distros.

Comment

Working...
                      X