Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Release Of The AMD XvBA Back-End To VA-API

Phoronix: A New Release Of The AMD XvBA Back-End To VA-API

Splitted Desktop Systems has updated their closed-source library that provides an XvBA back-end to a VA-API front-end so that those running the ATI Catalyst Linux driver are able to take advantage of the UVD2 video engine on newer Radeon HD graphics cards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

All I can say about this is "Meh". This software is about as useful to Radeon owners as MS-DOS is to a Linux user.

Comment

Originally posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
      All I can say about this is "Meh". This software is about as useful to Radeon owners as MS-DOS is to a Linux user.
      Not necessarily. There are Radeon-based netbooks that can't otherwise manage HD video. That said, I won't use it, since the open-source drivers do a better job of satisfying my needs. I really want to know when we can expect a VA-API state tracker for Gallium.

Comment

Anyone know if it finally has support for profiles [email protected]?

Comment

Originally posted by waucka View Post
          Not necessarily. There are Radeon-based netbooks that can't otherwise manage HD video. That said, I won't use it, since the open-source drivers do a better job of satisfying my needs. I really want to know when we can expect a VA-API state tracker for Gallium.
          By the time there are usable radeon Gallium drivers, VA-API will be completely obsolete, since there is a WIP VDPAU state stracker.

Comment

Originally posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
            By the time there are usable radeon Gallium drivers, VA-API will be completely obsolete, since there is a WIP VDPAU state stracker.
            I really couldn't care less about an nvidia technology like VDPAU.

Comment

Most of the work to create a VDPAU state tracker would be in the video decoding routines. Once someone's written the shaders and SSE code required, it should be relatively simple to wrap it up in either VDPAU or a VAAPI state tracker.

Comment

In ArchLinux with the new version i have this error
                vainfo
                libva: libva version 0.31.0-sds6
                Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
                libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
                libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/va/drivers/fglrx_drv_video.so
                Violaci?n de segmento

xvba-video 0.6.11 works ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Cory View Post
                  In ArchLinux with the new version i have this error
                  vainfo
                  libva: libva version 0.31.0-sds6
                  Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
                  libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
                  libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/va/drivers/fglrx_drv_video.so
                  Violaci?n de segmento

xvba-video 0.6.11 works ok.
                  Update libva.

Comment

Originally posted by KellyClowers View Post
                    I really couldn't care less about an nvidia technology like VDPAU.
                    It really does not matter. VDPAU is designed to be a open API.

VA-API is designed to be a generic API that can be backed by VDPAU or whatever.

But if a VDPAU state tracker exists then that may just end up being a cleaner solution for everybody to use regardless of the video card.

Comment

Working...
                    X