UT3 - Abandon all hope?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UT3 - Abandon all hope?

I made the FOOLISH, FOOLISH mistake of buying UT3 in the shop in October, assuming that the installer, if it wasn't out already, would be out soon. Fast-forward 7 freaking months and we're all still out of luck.

Are we about to write this off? Should I eBay the game?

Keep it, a linux client will come out eventually, even if it's very VERY late. I still play Quake III Arena (with the re-worked open-source engine ioquake3). Full screen (1680x1050), full anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering, highest settings, it's awesome.

Comment

Just wondering whether I could sell it now, and buy it again for cheaper, in 3 years time when they've open sourced the engine or whatever. :P

Comment

Originally posted by apaige View Post
        Keep it, a linux client will come out eventually, even if it's very VERY late. I still play Quake III Arena (with the re-worked open-source engine ioquake3). Full screen (1680x1050), full anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering, highest settings, it's awesome.

That is a very optimistic view, personally, I doubt it will ever come to pass. We have seen stuff like this before. Usually if the linux client is not released in a timely manner it never comes to pass.

Comment

So doom and gloom now, are we? If I were you, I'd sell UT3 and buy something else. If UT3 Linux ever comes out, just get it again. And by that time, it'll probably be cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by apaige View Post
            Given the of an official comment and given the very long time-frame one can only guess that whatever reason that blocked the release is more-or-less permanent.

Unless something amazing happens (Read: Steve Balmer releasing Windows 2K under GPL - amazing) UT2K3/Linux will never be released.

... Hope I'm wrong, though.
            - Gilboa
            oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
            oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
            oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
            Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

There's already a server binary available for linux, and I'm pretty sure the linux client is done already, they're just sitting on it for legal reasons. I, for one, bet it'll come out. When is anybody's guess, but at worst the legal issues should become irrelevant when the technology is obsoleted by something else.

Comment

Originally posted by alex-weej View Post
                I made the FOOLISH, FOOLISH mistake of buying UT3 in the shop in October, assuming that the installer, if it wasn't out already, would be out soon. Fast-forward 7 freaking months and we're all still out of luck.

Are we about to write this off? Should I eBay the game?

Burn the game on the sacrificial ritual, tape that, and sell CDs of that on ebay. Much better.

Comment

Basically you can keep the serial and sell it then, no Linux copyprotection does exist yet

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    Basically you can keep the serial and sell it then, no Linux copyprotection does exist yet
                    maybe thats why publishers dont allow their games to run on linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X