Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Project Has Huge Surprises Today

Phoronix: Nouveau Project Has Huge Surprises Today

The reverse-engineered Nouveau driver project has two huge surprises to share with the NVIDIA-using Linux desktop community today. One announcement concerns new hardware enablement (Kepler!) and the other concerns the Nouveau driver's position within the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

its not just that one commit of 50 or so lines, Ben has been adding changes to support Kepler modesetting for a while. Since the chips modesetting is close to the NVD9, he's been pushing the changes to cover both d9 and Kepler for a while now.

and no NVIDIA have not changed their stance, they have neither helped nor hindered.

Comment

Not to mention 680 seems to be running circles around 7970 and costs $50 less.
      A(nother) sad day for AMD.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that RedHat has struck an agreement with NVIDIA, and NVIDIA clandestinely supplies RedHat with its GPUs.

It makes sense for NVIDIA - they don't have to open their GPUs programming interface and at the same time they still somehow help the open source movement.
        Last edited by birdie; 22 March 2012, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          I wouldn't be surprised to learn that RedHat has struck an agreement with NVIDIA, and NVIDIA clandestinely spupplies RedHat with its GPUs.

It makes sense for NVIDIA - they don't have to open their GPUs programming interface and at the same time they still somehow help the open source movement.
          airlied just said it wasn't the case (a few comments above) and I can say it isn't the case too.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that RedHat has struck an agreement with NVIDIA, and NVIDIA clandestinely spupplies RedHat with its GPUs.

It would surprise those of us who for Red Hat though.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
              It would surprise those of us who for Red Hat though.

Dave.
              So the mystery remains, how RedHat employees managed to obtain GTX680 before its official announcement? ;-)

Comment

So the mystery remains, how RedHat employees managed to obtain GTX680 before its official announcement? ;-)
                It's probably one of nvidia's hardware manufacturing partners who sent in an engineering sample.

Comment

Now that Nouveau is in the kernel, does it have any licence implications? It is MIT licensed which is fine for including in the Linux kernel but the moment that it gets maintained within the Linux kernel only, derivatives of nouveau must then be GPL licensed - so then other projects like Haiku OS would not be able to benefit from the work done on nouveau while its source tree is part of the Linux git tree.

I could be wrong but that's what it looks like from here...

Comment

Originally posted by philcostin View Post
                    Now that Nouveau is in the kernel, does it have any licence implications? It is MIT licensed which is fine for including in the Linux kernel but the moment that it gets maintained within the Linux kernel only, derivatives of nouveau must then be GPL licensed - so then other projects like Haiku OS would not be able to benefit from the work done on nouveau while its source tree is part of the Linux git tree.

I could be wrong but that's what it looks like from here...
                    Its been in the kernel for years.

and it has an MIT license on the code that is shareable.

Dave.

Comment

Working...
                    X