Bitrig Is Still Around, But Without An Official Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
    Zero? Explain that figure when moot from 4chan talks about how they still use FreeBSD 9.2 here, https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6835392
    It was about desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
      Yeah, but you're mistaken, sir. :> There's no *BSD kernel, but BSD licensed bits. That makes a difference.
      Ya, these OS's don't have kernels. They just work on magic. They're not bits, they're the whole OS. It makes a difference for what? Especially anything that means anything.

Comment

It was about desktops.
        No, you said zero marketshare without specifications, I proved you wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
          Ya, these OS's don't have kernels. They just work on magic. They're not bits, they're the whole OS. It makes a difference for what? Especially anything that means anything.
          Ya, it seems you don't have a clue. They're not BSD kernels, genius.

Comment

No, you said zero marketshare without specifications, I proved you wrong.
            No, you didn't. Net market share shows it has zero market share. When comes to servers I didn't find any site that shows BSD has more than zero market share.

Comment

No, you didn't. Net market share shows it has zero market share. When comes to servers I didn't find any site that shows BSD has more than zero market share.
              Zero implies that no servers run FreeBSD.

Explain then why 4chan uses FreeBSD, and why Netflix uses FreeBSD, yet somehow no servers run it?

Comment

Zero implies that no servers run FreeBSD.

Explain then why 4chan uses FreeBSD, and why Netflix uses FreeBSD, yet somehow no servers run it?
                They probably fear of GPL and they don't want to share their code with the community. Sorry Intellivision, but I don't have much time for such games. If it has 0,001% of desktop market share it is shown as 0% at netmarketshare.com. When comes to servers the situation is better, that's for sure. However there's no source which would shown how much market share BSD has in this area. There's netcraft, but it seems it counts some Linux distributions as Unix. Furthermore, there's more Unix than BSD itself, so it makes it even harder to count. Even if it has some significant share in this market when we add desktops and mobiles into comparison numbers will still be oscillating around zero. There are millions of devices running Linux kernel. Sergio claimed BSD runs in iOS and OS X which is simply untrue, because they're not running BSD kernel and I mean kernel from BSD distributions. Its license doesn't matter in this case.

Comment

They probably fear of GPL and they don't want to share their code with the community. Sorry Intellivision, but I don't have much time for such games. If it has 0,001% of desktop market share it is shown as 0% at netmarketshare.com. When comes to servers the situation is better, that's for sure. However there's no source which would shown how much market share BSD has in this area. There's netcraft, but it seems it counts some Linux distributions as Unix. Furthermore, there's more Unix than BSD itself, so it makes it even harder to count. Even if it has some significant share in this market when we add desktops and mobiles into comparison numbers will still be oscillating around zero. There are millions of devices running Linux kernel. Sergio claimed BSD runs in iOS and OS X which is simply untrue, because they're not running BSD kernel and I mean kernel from BSD distributions. Its license doesn't matter in this case.
                  But that's not how it works in real life. Even if there was only one FreeBSD server, their market share would not literally be at 0% because it still exists. And market share doesn't matter overly much when you can advertise that your OS runs on systems that experience heavy traffic and handle it well, like 4Chan and Netflix.

You've gotten so caught up in the figures you aren't looking at the actual application of the OS.
                  But it's okay, most idiots make the same mistake.

Comment

But that's not how it works in real life. Even if there was only one FreeBSD server, their market share would not literally be at 0% because it still exists. And market share doesn't matter overly much when you can advertise that your OS runs on systems that experience heavy traffic and handle it well, like 4Chan and Netflix.
                    I thought I've made myself clear, but it seems I was mistaken. Even if BSD has 0,00001% of market share (everything counts) everybody can safely say it has zero market share. It's such simple. Such low market share is meaningless. It doesn't matter if it handless systems that experience heavy traffic, because Linux does it as well.

You've gotten so caught up in the figures you aren't looking at the actual application of the OS.
                    But it's okay, most idiots make the same mistake.
                    No, I didn't. It's just irrelevant, because better replacements exist.

Comment

Sergio claimed BSD runs in iOS and OS X which is simply untrue, because they're not running BSD kernel and I mean kernel from BSD distributions. Its license doesn't matter in this case.
                      Yes, they are; deal with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X