Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus Xonar DX

Hi guys!
    I 'd like to ask a question, I am interested in buying Xonar DX soundcard and today saw Michael's article about Xonar D1 card which is the same card with DX only with PCI connection and it is working with ALSA 1.0.18rc1...
    My PCI slots are full and I only have 2 PCI express free (why not use them and by the way I d like to see how small PCI express works!)

Is Xonar DX also working with 1.0.18rc1 alsa?? Or PCI Express connection needs other drivers?

it works ok, no need for different drivers, see my comment elsewhere

also: CMI 8788 soundcard - Asus Xonar D2 and Help me pick a sound card for Linux use!

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post
      Thank you my friend! So I will only need to compile alsa 1.0.18rc1 packages for now and it will be recognized, correct?

I currently use alsa 1.0.17 at opensuse 11 from provided upgrade repo multimedia:audio packages and kernel's alsa driver kmp package is version 1.0.16 daily updated.
      I cannot understand why they provide 1.0.16 driver package whereas all the others are 1.0.17 version... Does 1.0.17 driver need 2.6.26 kernel??
      Anyone knows?
      And furthermore can Xonar DX work with the alsa parts I currently have or it needs desperately 1.0.18rc1??

Comment

> So I will only need to compile alsa 1.0.18rc1 packages for now
        > and it will be recognized, correct?
        no, support is in since 1.0.17 ( or kernel 2.6.26 ), so you have it already

you can have the kernel ( with included ALSA modules ) + ALSA tools or any kernel + ALSA modules compiled to this kernel + ALSA tools

eg:
        -kernel 2.6.25 + ALSA 1.0.17 ( compiled for 2.6.25 brings good module ) + ALSA 1.0.17 tools = it will work with Xonar DX
        -kernel 2.6.26 ( has ALSA good module inside )+ ALSA 1.0.16 tools = it will work with Xonar DX ( this is my setup )

you don't need 1.0.18rc1

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post
          > So I will only need to compile alsa 1.0.18rc1 packages for now
          > and it will be recognized, correct?
          no, support is in since 1.0.17 ( or kernel 2.6.26 ), so you have it already

you can have the kernel ( with included ALSA modules ) + ALSA tools or any kernel + ALSA modules compiled to this kernel + ALSA tools

eg:
          -kernel 2.6.25 + ALSA 1.0.17 ( compiled for 2.6.25 brings good module ) + ALSA 1.0.17 tools = it will work with Xonar DX
          -kernel 2.6.26 ( has ALSA good module inside )+ ALSA 1.0.16 tools = it will work with Xonar DX ( this is my setup )

you don't need 1.0.18rc1
          Really thank you for your lights my friend!!
          I will follow your instructions!

Comment

Working...
          X