Linux hot-swap CPU/Memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux hot-swap CPU/Memory

If I want to install something large (think M9K or E25K), what is a system I should consider that supports CPU/Memory hotswap under Linux?
    I don't like taking some systems down to replace components.
    I know on a SPARC system with Solaris I can hot-swap, but I am at a loss on the Linux side.

Anyway, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Although Linux *does* support CPU/memory hotswapping, I would STRONGLY advise against it unless there is absolutely no other option. You go near the inside of a powered-up system with pieces of metal and you ALWAYS run the risk of shorting something out and powering it off PERMANENTLY.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      Although Linux *does* support CPU/memory hotswapping, I would STRONGLY advise against it unless there is absolutely no other option. You go near the inside of a powered-up system with pieces of metal and you ALWAYS run the risk of shorting something out and powering it off PERMANENTLY.
      Exactly 5 minutes downtime is far better then having to get a replacement system going. If your worried about downtime instead of looking for a system that supports hot swapping just run redundant servers.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        These aren't PCs. Things like E25Ks and M9Ks are designed to hot-swap every possible component. They are designed to lack a single point of failure. Heck, even the Ultra E4500s could hot-swap CPU/Mem boards.

Powering down the whole unit to swap out a CPU board isn't 5 minutes of downtime. An E2900, for instance, takes over 25 minutes just to get past the firmware initialization and start booting from disk.

Additionally, if I have hot-swap in Linux, I can provision additional CPU/Mem boards to a running domain. I want Linux to pick something like this up without an OS reboot.

Since Linux scales so well I am sure somebody has a large machine like this available.

Comment

Something like this is definitely a boon for large server farms that serve realtime data such as stock-market share data for example. If you want to quickly power off/on cpu's and memory on demand that's another good application for this too.

Comment

Working...
          X