Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Five-Way Linux Distribution Comparison In 2010

Phoronix: A Five-Way Linux Distribution Comparison In 2010

With many Linux distributions receiving major updates in recent weeks and months we have carried out a five-way Linux distribution comparison of openSUSE, Ubuntu, Fedora, PCLinuxOS, and Arch Linux. We have quite a number of tests comparing the 32-bit performance of these popular Linux distributions on older PC hardware.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

ZOMG let the distro wars begin . Nice article, it is interesting to see how they all compare together. I use Arch because it's rolling release and I setup what I want. I run into problems with this from time to time. Hell the Intel 2.10 driver broke my DPMS on my laptop and I couldn't close the lid without my system freaking out.

On a side note it would be interesting to see a comparison between x86 and x64 for some distros. See which one is faster and where.

Comment

Michael, I really didn't expect to see such a low-quality ill-informed article from you.

There are a lot of points you are completely missing, the article lacks information and it's vaguely worded ("problems with the system"???)

Here's how people responded to it: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=99779

Comment

Archlinux doesn't have a stock configuration. No preference towards video drivers is made, there is no default filesystem, hardly anything is installed by 'default'. X isn't even installed.

Most Archlinux users actually end up using a standalone window manager instead of a DE. So I'm wondering how you could do this in stock configuration. Not to mention that since arch is rolling release, getting the older version of the software from May would be a real pain and would have to be completely manual.

Comment

Why are you making my life so difficult?!? Now I have to so many of my friends who flaunt Arch Linux to shove it!!! LOL

Seriously though, I have been so sick of this aura of superiority that Arch Linux users seem to develop.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
            Now I have to so many of my friends who flaunt Arch Linux to shove it!!!
            I can't read this, it's not in English.
            Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
            Seriously though, I have been so sick of this aura of superiority that Arch Linux users seem to develop.
            There is no "aura of superiority". What that forum thread I linked to says is that the article lacks a lot of important data, it completely disregards the fact that Arch has no "version 2010.5" whatsoever and makes a comparison based on the writers ill-informed point of view.

So stop trolling.

Comment

Originally posted by dcc24 View Post
              There is no "aura of superiority". What that forum thread I linked to says is that the article lacks a lot of important data, it completely disregards the fact that Arch has no "version 2010.5" whatsoever and makes a comparison based on the writers ill-informed point of view.

So stop trolling.
              It seems this is right.

Btw.

And you are not trolling yourself? Bashing GTK? Stop trying to start a flame war.
              You should rather say this to the idiot who started to blame KDE. Gnome fanboys can blame KDE and it's ok, but if someone disagrees then it's an atempt to start a flame war? Even after someone else atempt? Btw. this was just a painfull truth. :>

Comment

Now now, let's not carry threads from one forum to another

Comment

Originally posted by dcc24 View Post
                  I can't read this, it's not in English.

So stop trolling.
                  Sorry, I forgot a word in there. It should read "Now I have to tell so many of my friends who flaunt Arch Linux to shove it!!!" Seriously, many all of the people that I know (in person at that) have a real aura of superiority.

Comment

interessting. Whenever Opensuse leads the results are 'virtually the same' or 'not interessting'. Well, one thing is interessting, the bias.

Comment

Working...
                    X