No announcement yet.

Unity 7 Is Now My Desktop, Wins Over Xfce On HiDPI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I'll have to remove it anyway. If only Live365 could develop a widget that does not use Flash for the heck of it. (Sigh)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Not interested/suitable to run KDE on my main desktop.
      Care to explain? If it is such news that you droped os x shit from your desktop you should be at least more informative. Did apple stop to sponsor you or something? We'll we get more news about GCC now?

Comment

Who the hell would buy a HIDPI notebook to use with linux? Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by realcnbs View Post
          Also i've read that kubuntu is not the best option for KDE.
          That might have been true years ago, but is certainly not true anymore. Kubuntu's focus now is to be as vanilla KDE as possible, and to work out of the box. Give it a try.

Full disclosure: I'm a member of the Kubuntu team and an admin of the Kubuntu Forums site.

Comment

Could somebody explain to me why DEs are actually resolution dependent?? I thought it doesn't matter since everything scales according to the resolution, like in games for example..?

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
              Could somebody explain to me why DEs are actually resolution dependent?? I thought it doesn't matter since everything scales according to the resolution, like in games for example..?
              Icons and text don't scale by resolution, that's the point. At least not without some work.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
                We're talking about DPI, not resolution. When you have a 13" 1440p scren, you wants things to be bigger than when you have a 27" 1440p screen.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
                  KDE is the most slow on benchmarks and in my personal opinion is messy too..

Unity is the best choice between performance, productivity and optical result.
                  That's right, KDE is not slow, it is less fast than the others. That is because it is actually doing something for you, working to animate your desktop to make it a pleasant and intuitive environment. Of course some prefer 280kW engines in there car, where the speed limit is 100km/h (65mph).

And you can configure it any way you like, hell you can probably make it look and behave like os x.

I use it on my 1024x600 netbook and on my 1080x1200 dual monitor desktops, and I must if you are doing any serious work (as opposed to gaming) nothing beats this (and I tried about all but openbox).

Yeah, Kontact adds nepomuk/akonadi. But at least it works, as opposed to my (formerly) preferred evolution, that hangs on exit and seems to be currently unusable. When that (if ever) gets fixed, I might turn back, but I don't see me turning away from KDE, unless that gets terribly broken in KDE5

Comment

Originally posted by Spittie View Post
                    We're talking about DPI, not resolution. When you have a 13" 1440p scren, you wants things to be bigger than when you have a 27" 1440p screen.
                    DPI is a measure of resolution, just like 1440p. Neither really mean much unless you know the physical dimensions of your display. DPI is primarily a hardware term, whereas XXXXp is often used for hardware or software resolution.

iow, I could tell you the 'p' resolution of a screen if I was given the DPI and size of the screen, but not if either was left out. I could as well give you the DPI of a screen if I was given the ("native") 'p' resolution and size of the screen, but not if either was left out.

If you increase DPI/'p' res for a given screen size (say, 21"), the image will appear smaller unless you scale it up. Same for if you decrease the screen size but have the same DPI/'p' res.

Comment

Slashdot users debated this same question last year, and KDE was the only DE with support from multiple users:
                      http://beta.slashdot.org/story/178565

For a KDE distro, I prefer openSUSE, as it's version of KDE is so heavily optimized. The last few releases of openSUSE have featured a KDE desktop with tremendous speed and responsiveness on modern hardware.

Comment

Working...
                      X