Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD2600XT, Ati Linux 8.41.7, Opensuse 10.2

The Intro:

Hello all, I am new to Linux. Well after all the days and hours I've spent trying to get it to work, I may actually be a little bit more knowledgeable than the average newb.

After seeing a few videos on youtube.com about linux, I was wowed and decided I wanted to give it a try. My experience thus far has been a rough one, yet, I'm still intrigued.........

The Machine:

Saphire HD2600XT/256 DDR4 RAM
    AMD X2 5600+ 2.8 Ghz
    ASUS M2N-E Motherboard/SocetAM2/BIOS revision 0802
    2 GB of Mushkin Enhanced RAM/800 Mhz/5-4-4-10
    80 GB SATA Hard Drive

The Battle:

It was a dark and cloudy night. Silence settles on the battlefield as the components assume their rightful positions. The faint sounds of victory chants can be heard afar. Anxiety lurks within the man. "Captain I'm scared!", yells the video card before being deployed.

Actually it wasn't like that, but I was pretty excited to get Linux working.

I got Opensuse 10.2 installed correctly. I installed all the necessary packages before video driver installation. To list a few:

kernel-source
    Mesa-devel
    zlib-devel

I performed all the pre-installation procedures according to a document I cross referenced.

make mrproper
    make cloneconfig
    make modules_prepare
    make clean

Then I installed the driver package, installed the driver. The one thing I wasn't sure of was "XFree86" referenced on ATI's release notes. Typed in aticonfig --initial. Then restarted.

The Aftermath:

I didn't expect this to work. But miraculously it did. The images were sharp, and things looked great. Well at least until I opened and dragged a window.

The Problem:

When I drag an open window, I see a lot of choppiness. It is very noticeable. I can't enable 3D Acceleration. I'm assuming the driver is not designed for that to work anyway. The reason for this thread is to find out if any one else is using the HD2600 series card, or even HD2000 series cards, and is actually experiencing the great performance that was promised by this driver. Please leave a reply. Thank you for reading, and thanks for your reply in advance.

Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

How did you install the fglrx 8.41.7 driver itself? Did you download it from ATI and run --buildpkg OpenSuSE/102 (or whatever the syntax is) and then install the resulting files?
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Not sure

Originally posted by Michael View Post

How did you install the fglrx 8.41.7 driver itself? Did you download it from ATI and run --buildpkg OpenSuSE/102 (or whatever the syntax is) and then install the resulting files?

Thank you for the replying. I installed the buildpackage using the driver file I downloaded from ATI/AMD.

"Generate Distributin Specific Driver Package"

Then using the same file I download from ATI/AMD. I installed the driver.

"Install Driver 8.41.7 on X.Org 7.1 and later releases 64-bit"

I didn't use any other file. Is that my problem?

Comment

Originally posted by theonedgo View Post
        Thank you for the replying. I installed the buildpackage using the driver file I downloaded from ATI/AMD.

"Generate Distributin Specific Driver Package"

Then using the same file I download from ATI/AMD. I installed the driver.

"Install Driver 8.41.7 on X.Org 7.1 and later releases 64-bit"

I didn't use any other file. Is that my problem?
        So you used the GUI installer by just double clicking the file? That isn't correct.

Follow the manual driver installation.
        Michael Larabel

Comment

Thanks for the help. I will try this and see what happens. If this works, God bless you. If not...hmm...God bless you anyway. I will post my results when I'm done. I installed Opensuse 10.3, so I'm reinstalling 10.2 now to try. Thanks again.

Comment

If it doesn't work out, just post again with specifically what you are doing or what appears in your error log (cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE) etc...
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Michael,

I don't know if all this will make any sense, but after using the command. "rpm -Uvh fgl*.rpm" this is what follows:

Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
              1:fglrx64_7_1_0_SUSE102 ########################################### [100%]
              /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx /
              rm: cannot remove `Modules.symvers': No such file or directory
              rm: cannot remove `*.o': No such file or directory
              rm: cannot remove `*.ko': No such file or directory
              rm: cannot remove `*.mod.*': No such file or directory
              make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18.2-34-obj/x86_64/default'
              make -C ../../../linux-2.6.18.2-34 O=../linux-2.6.18.2-34-obj/x86_64/default
              LD /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/built-in.o
              CC [M] /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/firegl_public.o
              /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c: In function ‘fglrx_pci_suspend’:
              /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c:799: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘firegl_pci_save_state’ from incompatible pointer type
              /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c: In function ‘fglrx_pci_resume’:
              /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c:838: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘firegl_pci_restore_state’ from incompatible pointer type
              /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c: In function ‘firegl_put_user_ptr’:
              /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c:1617: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
              /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c:1617: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
              /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c: In function ‘__ke_unregister_ioctl32_conversion’:
              /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c:2982: warning: ‘return’ with a value, in function returning void
              /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c: In function ‘KAS_SlabCache_Initialize’:
              /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c:5477: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
              LD [M] /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/fglrx.o
              Building modules, stage 2.
              MODPOST
              WARNING: could not find /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/.libfglrx_ip.a.GCC4.cmd for /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/libfglrx_ip.a.GCC4
              CC /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/fglrx.mod.o
              LD [M] /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/fglrx.ko
              make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18.2-34-obj/x86_64/default'
              make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18.2-34-obj/x86_64/default'
              make -C ../../../linux-2.6.18.2-34 O=../linux-2.6.18.2-34-obj/x86_64/default modules_install
              INSTALL /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/fglrx.ko
              DEPMOD 2.6.18.2-34-default
              make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18.2-34-obj/x86_64/default'
              /

Please read "/usr/share/doc/packages/fglrx/README.SuSE" for
              configuration details when using SaX2.

sorry about the mess.

Comment

Did you try just doing

rpm -ivh fgl*.rpm --force

to just overwrite them with the new ones instead of uninstalling first?
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Did you try just doing

rpm -ivh fgl*.rpm --force

to just overwrite them with the new ones instead of uninstalling first?

No I didn't. I used the command "rpm -Uvh fgl*.rpm" first. I will remove and re-install. If I get the same messages I will let you know.

Comment

Ok, I re-installed, and am still experiencing the same choppiness. Not sure what the issue could be. Hope it's not hardware.
                    Last edited by theonedgo; 23 September 2007, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X