Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
    SURE, it does!
    And if Linux 2.2 is not running well you can give Windows 3.11 a shot...
    What?? No MS-DOS 5.0 support? That's terrible...

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Not really as alot of people are pigs and will download items they will never use anyways. If they had to donate for each specific version on the OS then you would eliminate those pigs and would be able to easily say something like

"of the 600 donators of the xyz version people paid on average zyx amount." You would be allocating that donation specifically to one OS.
      So you are saying people that only have a windows installation would download Mac and linux builds? You are going to have to explain this one.

Comment

• Should have commodore 64 support.

Comment

• Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
          So you are saying people that only have a windows installation would download Mac and linux builds? You are going to have to explain this one.
          Yup you bet, not all of them but quite a few. Many people download with "what if I do want to sometime in the future try xyz out?". I've been offered roughly 20 times already if I wanted a "copy" of HIB/HIB2 from people that don't use linux but they have all versions readily available in case someone wants that version.

Comment

Yup you bet, not all of them but quite a few. Many people download with "what if I do want to sometime in the future try xyz out?". I've been offered roughly 20 times already if I wanted a "copy" of HIB/HIB2 from people that don't use linux but they have all versions readily available in case someone wants that version.
            That's not legit and it's infringement. You get one seat. It doesn't matter which OS and handing off the Linux installs isn't getting a Linux seat magically that you can sell to someone else. Lucky for them that Daniel and I don't view trying to chase that sort garbage down as a fruitful endeavor unless it's openly done in front of either of us. Seriously.

More to the point, you seem to be woefully uninformed about how they're getting their tallies on which OS paid what. That tells me you either didn't get a seat for the HIB, or you weren't paying close attention to things when you redeemed your download code.

What happens is when you claim your downloads for the first time, you pick your OS of choice. That is what bucket you get dropped into and subsequent downloads don't count in any figures whatsoever. In that case, your infinging associates picked their OS of choice, Windows, and became part of the Windows tally, with none of the OSX/Linux or subsequent Windows downloads counting. Same goes for anyone with OSX doing the same thing or Linux.

The figures given are going to be more accurate that you're painting the picture of things here if only because of that detail I just mentioned.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
              That's not legit and it's infringement. You get one seat. It doesn't matter which OS and handing off the Linux installs isn't getting a Linux seat magically that you can sell to someone else. Lucky for them that Daniel and I don't view trying to chase that sort garbage down as a fruitful endeavor unless it's openly done in front of either of us. Seriously.
              Never said I accepted it. Only that I was offered. I'm sure there were some donations as well with the intention of multiple copies. Instead of filling out the forms and transactions twice some probably lump summed the donation for more then one copy.

More to the point, you seem to be woefully uninformed about how they're getting their tallies on which OS paid what. That tells me you either didn't get a seat for the HIB, or you weren't paying close attention to things when you redeemed your download code.
              You are right I never went through the process. I didn't see any value in the product. The programs offered to me didn't warrant purchasing at any price given that there are tonnes of free flash apps out there that offer a similar gaming experience.

What happens is when you claim your downloads for the first time, you pick your OS of choice. That is what bucket you get dropped into and subsequent downloads don't count in any figures whatsoever. In that case, your infinging associates picked their OS of choice, Windows, and became part of the Windows tally, with none of the OSX/Linux or subsequent Windows downloads counting. Same goes for anyone with OSX doing the same thing or Linux.

The figures given are going to be more accurate that you're painting the picture of things here if only because of that detail I just mentioned.
              Even in that scenario there is a flaw in the counting. What happens to people who donated for multiple OS versions? With ~60% of linux users dual booting it is reasonable to expect that many downloaded for use on more then one OS. Again the results would have been far more accurate if it was setup as a donation per OS scenario where the donation would only allow the downloading for that particular OS.

Comment

The programs offered to me didn't warrant purchasing at any price given that there are tonnes of free flash apps out there that offer a similar gaming experience.
                ..... heh. You never actually played any of the HIB games, did you?

Comment

• Originally posted by KameZero View Post
                  ..... heh. You never actually played any of the HIB games, did you?
                  Yup, sure did, tried the demos of most of them. Didn't impress me. I had also bought World of Goo before the pack. That at least offered about 3 hours of gameplay before it was completed. I thought it would be longer and had I'd known that it was that short I wouldn't have purchased it.

Comment

Yup, sure did, tried the demos of most of them. Didn't impress me. I had also bought World of Goo before the pack. That at least offered about 3 hours of gameplay before it was completed. I thought it would be longer and had I'd known that it was that short I wouldn't have purchased it.
                    Given this as being the case, why spin the story you did just a bit back in this thread? It doesn't work at all like you're trying to claim it does- and you would have known that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                      Given this as being the case, why spin the story you did just a bit back in this thread? It doesn't work at all like you're trying to claim it does- and you would have known that.
                      Svartalf, I'm just pointing out that even with the way you say it works it is not the most accurate way of accounting for the division of share. A one donation per OS version would have painted a more accurate picture of the landscape.

Comment

Working...
                      X